Suggestions for cutting fluids

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

EOsteam

Suggestions for cutting fluids

Post by EOsteam »

I have lately been having really good results on the faux Bridgeport using carbide end mills and CRC TrueTap Aqua in a spray bottle. It's a bit awkward because I'm spraying with one hand and turning the crossfeed with the other. It's time to investigate better options.

1) Is there a better system that doesn't require compressed air or a wider catchpan around the base of the milling machine? I'm not opposed to installing a wider apron around the base but will have to locate a supplier.

2) If I elect to stay with the spray bottle, is there a more economical solution available other than CRC TrueTap Aqua that works just as well?

Thanks again all,

HJ
Mr Ron

Re: Suggestions for cutting fluids

Post by Mr Ron »

I think you could hook up some plastic tubing and an aquarium pump for a low pressure spray.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

If you are working with steel, just try running the carbide end mill dry and just keep it moving. Don't let it sit there and rub without making decent chips.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
Inspector

Post by Inspector »

I wonder if a small garden sprayer would work. As long as the coolant was compatible with the seals I don't a reason it wouldn't.

Pete