Removing metal splinters

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

whateg0

Re: Removing metal splinters

Post by whateg0 »

mihit wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:20 pm Ounce of prevention, pound of cure...
What is that? A space suit? Stay in the kitchen? LOL
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Yes, visibility is key.

Depending on what and where, I have a few avenues. If I'm in the shop, I usually go for a Luxor 5x mag light I picked up years ago. Both bright light and magnification, both hands free. Or Optivisor if I need more magnification. In the house, usually my 2x "reading" glasses. Too strong for actual reading, but works well when working on small things, particularly with less than ideal light.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

I am not a masochist, but the only way that works for a buried splinter is to dig and dig and dig with a sharp needle until is is free enough to be dragged out wit a swiping motion. There is always a hole in the end.
We have thick skin on the fingers that needs to be removed to free the splinter, that is the reason for the big crater.
A bit painful, sometime, if warranted a dab of Neosporine and a a band aid.
Neosporine is a NON prescription antibiotic ointment that really sanitizes a wound, speed healing and has always worked well for me.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

I use fingernail clippers. Often I can grip the splinter with it and pull it out. If not I use the clipper to remove enough tissue to expose enough of the splinter to grip. I find that this minimizes the size of the resulting wound.

A "nice" feature of steel splinters is that they are tough enough to come out in one piece once I get a grip on them. Plant material such as burdock breaks off.

Glass splinters are the worst.