cutting steel tubing

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Lewayne

cutting steel tubing

Post by Lewayne »

I had no idea just where to put this. I was watching a guy cutting tubing, to build something (on u tube) He was using a saw that looked like my abrasive cutting saw but he had a carbide blade in it. I looked on line and sure enough they had them for sale. Decent price too. I was wondering if I can just put one of those blades on my Abrasive saw, or are the saws actually different than they look? I hate abrasive cutting everything.
RONALD

Re: cutting steel tubing

Post by RONALD »

I have a Milwaukee Metal Cutting saw that worked rather well when I was cutting up a lot of parts for the two American Bridge Company 1913 Turntables in 1.6" scale I constructed.

That saw has a special chamber to collect HOT chunks of metal as they come off the saw; it's NOT sawdust!

I also have a 14" Chop Saw, and prefer the Chop Saw for cutting tubing, or angle iron, but the Milwaukee Metal Saw will also do such shapes.

Carbide blades do not last too long, and are not cheap, chop saw blades are real cheap!
Russ Hanscom

Post by Russ Hanscom »

I cut up some sheet steel, just under 1/8" thick, using one of the carbide blades in a skil saw. Probably had over 20 lineal feet of cut to make. Parts much too big for a chop saw and too big a job for a sawzal or abrasive wheels which I use for smaller jobs. Worked great for the long cuts. Beware, lots of hot chips, use goggle, face shield, long sleeves... Blade was about $50, but few alternatives. So, yes it does have a place in some jobs.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

The carbide dry saws turn MUCH slower than the abrasive ones; they have reduction gears in them.
But not as slow as the water cooled tungsten blade saws.

I've been using a dry saw for decades; the blades can be sharpened and they need it often. They don't like heavy stock but I do it while spraying coolant from a bottle.
You have to be careful with them or you chip off teeth.
The saw is inexpensive, and lightweight.
The blades are not cheap, sometimes you can get a deal though
They don't burn through like an abrasive wheel; there's heat, just not that much.
The cut is nice and smooth.
Due to the light weight and low cost, the clamps aren't very good. When cutting miters I add a G clamp or vise grips to keep the stock from slipping on the fence during the cut.
I really wanted one of those heavy water cooled tungsten ones, but couldn't afford one so I got a power hacksaw; the combination is good.
I use the old drysaw for light stock [it's VERY fast] and the donkeysaw for heavy / solid stock [it's very slow].
Lewayne

Post by Lewayne »

Good information. I was afraid they turned slower than my abrasive saw. but still cheap enough to get one. I cant afford the fancy ones. thanks
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

There used to be a company making carbide blades for use on normal chop saws at what I thought was a very decent price. I haven't seen mention of them in eons, though, so I have no idea if they are still around. I would like to have a cold saw, but they are very expensive. With the variety of motors in my shop right now, maybe that could be another new project to use in place of the bandsaw most of the time.

Dave