Parallel Keeper

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

armscor 1

Parallel Keeper

Post by armscor 1 »

Found a good use for my non repeating cheap import Telescopic gages.
Attachments
DSCN0094.JPG
Harold_V

Re: Parallel Keeper

Post by Harold_V »

Great solution to a common problem.
I keep a small jar of various small compression springs near my mill. I use them the same way you're using your telescoping gauge.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

When all else is too big, I use a short piece of flexible tube. Works with the vise either horizontal or vertical.
Tube keeper
Tube keeper
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

earlgo wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:56 am When all else is too big, I use a short piece of flexible tube. Works with the vise either horizontal or vertical.tube keeper.JPG
--earlgo
I like that. I've got lots of scraps of tube in various sizes. Doesn't even have to be tubing: sections cut from plastic bottles would work.
Rick

Post by Rick »

Rubber bands around the jaws and parallels
They don't hold up the best but work at any jaw opening
Rick

“We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Unknown
Murphy's Law: " If it can go wrong it will"
O-Tool's Corollary: "Murphy was entirely too optimistic"
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

I most often use old banding from boxes & pallets.
Cut and bend a spring to suit the gap. When I'm done, I throw 'em in a plastic bin for the next time.

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

I use the banding too for smaller gaps (and sometimes larger). And flat brake drum separator springs are usually used for larger (down to near full compress), with spacers to provide more width. The spacers are generally "shop made parallels" I started making a long time ago from short remnants. Mostly just fly-cut mild steel for the squared up parallel faces, they get used for common drill projects, shimming weldments, and such non-precision precision stuff. They tend to be around vise jaw width so easily span the gap, and thick enough to lay down sideways to combine with the flat spring for supporting low parallels. Also great on the drill press (or tacked onto something) since they are casually sacrificial, and can be touched up or reused for other things as needed.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
Rolland

Post by Rolland »

I use rifle magazine springs, the flat ones.
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

Moved the Chinese telescopic gauges from the metrology shelf to the drawer next to the mill. Is the only functions they may be good for; that and as bouncing hammers.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX