Published Caliper Accuracy Specs (Mit)

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

ctwo

Published Caliper Accuracy Specs (Mit)

Post by ctwo »

I see Mitutoyo 8:" digital caliper accuracy spec is 0.001" and 0.01 mm. Metric measurements are published as being more than twice as accurate and equal to resolution.

Why is that?

Mitutoyo 500-475 Digital Calipers, Solar Powered, Inch/Metric, for Inside, Outside, Depth and Step Measurements, Stainless Steel,

0"/0mm-8"/200mm Range

+/-0.001"/0.01mm Accuracy

0.0005"/0.01mm Resolution
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
GlennW

Re: Published Caliper Accuracy Specs (Mit)

Post by GlennW »

Just more proof that the metric system is superior to the US system, :roll:
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
pete

Re: Published Caliper Accuracy Specs (Mit)

Post by pete »

The imperial measurement displays to the nearest .0005" but it's just a rounded off number done internally to that half thou and it can't be depended on since the actual repeatable accuracy is still + - .001". The accuracy in both imperial and metric would be the same, it's just what the display shows. But the metric accuracy isn't equal to there resolution, it's still + - .001 mm or the industry standard of + - one division. With mine I just ignore that half thou digit since it's meaningless. Fwiw I have the 6" solar powered Mits. Hands down the nicest and most buttery smooth pair of calipers I've ever used. If there's anything better in the world it can't be by much. I wasn't convinced they were worth the extra cash over the standard digital's, but after trying them I sure think they are. Never a dead battery unless the onboard internal one were to fail at some point. There still only a caliper measurement, so I figure under good conditions I'm probably somewhere within .001" - .003"(maybe)