Shop Build (help appreciated!)

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

BadDog

Re: Shop Build (help appreciated!)

Post by BadDog »

For close maneuvering of the trailer, put a hitch receiver on the front of the truck. Makes it SO much easier to put in a tight spot. When I had my rock crawler buggy, the trailer I hauled it on had to go in through a back gate off an alley, and make a hard right to store along side the back fence between it and a tree that gave me about 2' on each side. Backing it in was terrible, requiring multi-points and at least one spotter. But I put a receiver on the front of my truck, and from then on it was a snap both in and out solo.

Maybe the tractor too, but a tractor is so much more maneuverable, a rear hitch often works fine, but often interferes with implements mounted. So I have a loader lip ball mount too, though no longer have a trailer to fool with, and plenty of room on the new "horse property" even if I did have a trailer...
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

BadDog--

That's too easy. :)

Great idea! But I already took the stumps out. :(

--Bill
You are what you write.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

I also made a way to attach a trailer ball to my tractor FEL; I needed to accurately maneuver a big camping trailer into it's new shelter.
Trouble was that it's so wide, I couldn't see down the side.
So I set the ball to one side of the tractor; off center. That went really well.
If you use a high pressure cleaner on those root balls, you can blast all the soil out; then they can be burned.
If your graveyard wants to be cleared out.
Attachments
trailer sliding in.jpg
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

liveaboard—

On most of the rootballs, I shake them with the Komatsu to remove the dirt and then burn them. The ones that I do not clean out go to the grave yard.

It is very satisfying to see a big, nasty rootball burn.

—Bill
You are what you write.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Reminds me of the big rock dug up in our front yard in Alaska. The town extended the sewer system out where we lived, and we were required to connect to it. I was thinking on renting a mini-excavator, and doing it myself, but we had a lot going on at the mine, and I couldn't afford to take any days off.
I hired a friend of mine, who had a contracting biz. Good thing.
He called me at the mine, and asked me if I could leave a big rock he had to dig up, since he had no way to lift it. I told him sure, just park it next to the driveway.

I got back a few weeks later, and I bet the rock weighed more than his 33,000 excavator. It was a little over 6 feet high...8 foot across....and 5 to 7 feet wide.
How he moved it.....beyond me. He told me about the fight. Better him than me....he was a really good operator.
Looked good by the corner of the driveway!

Had I have rented a little Takeuchi or Bobcat excavator....I'd a had to call him anyway. I don't think they would have let me drill & blast.....
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

warmstrong—

I want that boulder that landed on the highway in Colorado the other day.

—Bill
You are what you write.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

We don't have rocks; when I find one, I cherish it. save it for when I need a rock.
There is rock of course, but it's about 12' down; deeper than I go.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

seal killer wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 4:24 pm warmstrong—

I want that boulder that landed on the highway in Colorado the other day.

—Bill
That was a biggun Bill! 2.3 million pounds they estimated.

I saw a vid today, where CDOT, or maybe a contractor, had drilled it, and blasted it.
Nice shot too! Good job!

Not uncommon in Colorado, that’s for sure. I’ve taken many a detour for roads closed from rockfalls.

Other Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.