Shop Build (help appreciated!)

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

spro

Re: Shop Build (help appreciated!)

Post by spro »

For instance; I removed a #2 milling machine from small box truck. There was no way to remove it. I didn't have a fork lift. I assembled and welded a gantry type grane of feet whic..... That is so over.
Lewayne

Post by Lewayne »

Wow, this was a really interesting thread. I'm in the process of reworking my woodworking shop to have space for a small machine shop. who knows maybe someday it will take over all of the shop, but I am 70 and only have one good decade left, I fear. Anyway I have a central large wood post supporting a big wood beam running the length of the shop. That supports the floor of the garage apartment above. I really liked the boom pictured on the secoond page of this thread. I may have to build one of those.
AllenH59

Post by AllenH59 »

If I were doing it again, I would have the machine tools inside a small room. A lathe and a mill do not call for that much floor space, but it is nice to keep them clean. Outside that wall can be the welding, drill press and wood work that will be done.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

My machine shop is inside a 20' sea container; not the original idea when we got the new house.
The container was storage and the workshop attached to the house, but the noise was driving certain people nuts. So I moved my machines [and 3-phase power] into the container, and the attached space is now garage / storage.
It's pretty tight in the container, but ok for most of my work.
Acoustics is still the dark underbelly of architecture it seems. I've been in grand expensive homes where a whisper downstairs could be heard in the upstairs bedrooms.
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

My shop is 24'x48' with a 10' ceiling. Most of it is for woodworking, but I have n 8'x10' room for my 11" lathe and 6x26 mill. There is enough room to work in. A drill press, grinders and metal cutting bandsaw reside in the woodworking area. The machine shop area is air conditioned.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
Glenn Brooks

Re: Shop Build (help appreciated!

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Bill, looks like ypur main question above concerns 2x10 ceiling joists??

I gather the joists in your shop area will not be load bearing? In other words, these are going in under roof truss or second floor joists??? If so, and their only purpose is to suspend sheet rock, maybe 2x10 is enuf for a 21’ span. Here in Hawaii the building code requires clear span roofs to have timbers 1” tall for every foot of span. So a 12’ span requires a 4x12 every 4 feet. Now I don’t know how that translates to 16” centers, as the 1” rule mostly applies to post and beam construction- haha with no snow load!

Certainly if you plan any load on the ceiling, e.g. storage, I would think hard about upgrading your ceiling design to full dimensional 2”x12” beams, 16” centers, for your 21’ clear span. You’ll get an extra margin of strength with 12” beams. The height of the beam, not the width is the critical factor for spanning long distances. (Same goes for a gantry crane. A 6” steam I beam for an 8’- 10 ‘ span will safely carry a little over a 4000# point load.)

And use Doug fir if it is available in your area. It’s a considerably stronger wood than white pine.

Sounds like a great time your having, putting everything together.

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

Glen--

The span is 19'. The joists will be on 16" centers and I plan to double up every third 2x10. Oh, the only thing it will hold up is sheetrock. All I can get is pine. (The interwebs told me pine will span 21'.)

What do you think?

--Bill
You are what you write.
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

All--

An update . . .

The shop (and the laundry room and a full bath) is framed in, wired, the 20' 2x10 ceiling joists on 16" centers (the actual span is 17'6") are in place and I'm in the process of building a 30', strong-back beam from 2x10 lumber to span the shop area. I decided to triple up on the 2x10s. I'm using a 20' piece and a 10' piece in each section. The middle section is reversed (10' then 20') and the last section is reversed yet again (back to 20' then 10') so the joints are overlapped.

It is glued and screwed.

Hopefully, this week the guys that spray the closed cell foam will be in to spray the garage walls that form the east and west ends of the shop/laundry/bath and the north wall of same which is parallel to the drive through bay in the garage. (The south wall is the house.) I will use fiberglass insulation after the foam is in place. I'll use a lot of fiberglass insulation above the ceiling.

The north wall (along the drive through bay) is sheeted with 7/16" OSB and the shop ceiling will also be OSB, which I will place above the joists. The laundry room and bath will be sheetrocked below the joists in the traditional manner.

Ceiling height is 10'3".

I'm REALLY looking forward to getting my equipment down there!

--Bill
You are what you write.
spro

Post by spro »

Heck. I'm glued and screwed and never accomplished a project like yours. Best to you, Bill.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

LOL! Hadn't thought about that, but true for me too. I've got screws and related hardware all over my body, and the last 2 knees I had replaced in 2016 were glued in after cutting a faceted bed using a 3D printed jig created from a high res 3D scan that indexed to the features of my bones and used to guide the saw. Very cool stuff. So I'm truly screwed-n-glued as well! But as you say, accomplished a lot less by it that SK has...
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
spro

Post by spro »

Russ. I meant it more in a figurative way. My BIL has had both knee joints replaced and went well.- As to say that there wasn't any infection or problems that he didn't overcome. Your repair was monumental compared to anything I can think of now.
spro

Post by spro »

I think that joints wear during times which are hard to get back. I believe that is why we did what we could at those times. In a way, glued to those decisions. Some are right good and some aren't but can't see doing it over.