Home made collet rack

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

whisperfan

Home made collet rack

Post by whisperfan »

I looked at several different options for a collet rack for my mill rebuilt/refinish and in the end, I decided to make my own

So I took some 3/4" tubing and welded it to a piece of 1/4" flat stock. I welded another piece of tubing at a 45 degree angle and welded into it a threaded rod coupler.

The collet plate is cherry and I put in 16 holes with the edges rounded with a router. A couple coats of polyurethane and it's done. I like how it came out.

SteveM

Re: Home made collet rack

Post by SteveM »

You're going to have friends asking you to make them for you.

Steve
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Nice!
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Very nice, but storing your collets where they're subjected to chips isn't a great idea. I keep mine in a cabinet behind my mill, where they stay clean.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

Harold_V wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:58 am Very nice, but storing your collets where they're subjected to chips isn't a great idea. I keep mine in a cabinet behind my mill, where they stay clean.

H
I see your logic there, but I see so many collets stored on the column of the mill, or lathe tooling, including collets, stored on the lathe.

Dave
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Drape a cover over them.
~RussN
whisperfan

Post by whisperfan »

Harold_V wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:58 am Very nice, but storing your collets where they're subjected to chips isn't a great idea. I keep mine in a cabinet behind my mill, where they stay clean.

H
It's so pretty I have no intention of ever using the mill again ..... so no danger of chips

HAHAHA

NOT! :D
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

You need to make a hinged dust cover out of cherry.

Steve
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

whateg0 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:56 am

H
I see your logic there, but I see so many collets stored on the column of the mill, or lathe tooling, including collets, stored on the lathe.

Dave
I see that, too. Doesn't make it a good idea, though. There are many operations one performs where chips are dispersed wide and far. Placing items that should be kept free of dirt in the proximity of such operations isn't a great idea, especially if the shop is not equipped with compressed air, which is used to free the items of accumulated dirt before installing in a spindle. May not be much of an issue for the guy who uses his machine occasionally, and is more interested in how nice it looks than how well it works, but for those of us who have used machines for a living, it just makes no sense at all.

Early BP mills used to have a door on the left hand side of the column, and collets could be stored within. The door went away, as it should have. Because the ram is open at the front, chips entered the ram and ended up on the collets stored in the column. Same problem, but a different location.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.