Clockwise Anti - Clockwise To Undo Machine Spindle Nuts

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

pollys1dad

Clockwise Anti - Clockwise To Undo Machine Spindle Nuts

Post by pollys1dad »

I have a Multico Tenoner machine same as in attached photo. It has a top and bottom head each on its own spindle, the top head has a right hand thread and the bottom has a left hand.
I'm not sure, which way round do I turn the nut holding the head on each spindle to remove each head?
Thanks.
Attachments
Multico Tenoner Chaski .jpg
pete

Re: Clockwise Anti - Clockwise To Undo Machine Spindle Nuts

Post by pete »

For right hand threads the way to remember is lefty loosy, righty tighty. So for right hand threads it's anti clock wise to loosen and clockwise to tighten. Exactly the opposite for left hand threads. To help properly visualize that on parts facing down, then picture a clock face pointing in the same direction as the part and which way the hands would turn. Once you have it correct the first time then mark the parts with a felt tip pen with arrows and directions to turn the tool to either tighten or loosen.
johnfreese

Post by johnfreese »

The hand of the thread may have been chosen so the nut will not work loose when the spindle is operating. I figure both heads turn in the same direction. Expect one to have a RH nut and the other to have LH. Try turning the nut in the direction the spindle turns.
rudd

Post by rudd »

After you've fought with lugnuts on the passenger side of an older MOPAR vehicle, you remember. left hand thread on the R/H side of the vehicle. Same with Willys.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

rudd wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:12 pm After you've fought with lugnuts on the passenger side of an older MOPAR vehicle, you remember. left hand thread on the R/H side of the vehicle. Same with Willys.
I once let the lugnuts on one wheel loose after a tire change and drove from northern MA to southern CT.

A friend did that and didn't make it out of the parking lot.

Difference was which side.

Steve
pollys1dad

Post by pollys1dad »

OK thanks.
RMinMN

Post by RMinMN »

Whatever will we do when all the analog clocks have been replaced by digitals and the children of today have no concept of clockwise?
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

TEACH THEM THE RIGHT HAND RULE
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
pollys1dad

Post by pollys1dad »

I put releasing oil on nut of the bottom head last night and tried to squirt some up into the top nut.
In reply to my other post I was told the bottom head has a left hand thread, clockwise to loosen I got that undone quite easily.
The top head nut, anti clockwise to loosen I'm having trouble with this. I've put a half scaffold pole as a lever over the socket handle, the nut won't budge.
See photo red arrow showing direction I'm moving the ratchet handle. I am trying to move in the correct direction?
Cheers.
Attachments
C.JPG
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

RMinMN wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:31 am Whatever will we do when all the analog clocks have been replaced by digitals and the children of today have no concept of clockwise?
Then we are screwed.

Or unscrewed, depending on which way they turn things.

Steve
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

pollys1dad wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:25 am See photo red arrow showing direction I'm moving the ratchet handle. I am trying to move in the correct direction?
Cheers.
To me, that looks like you are tightening - if you put your point of view as looking up at the nut, that looks like clockwise.

I would suggest that instead of using a ratchet, use a sold breaker bar and rather than just trying to move in one direction, move back and forth to see if you can break up any corrosion, dried oil or whatever might be holding things in place. If you can get it to wiggle, spray more penetrant in and let it sit - now it may be able to move in.

Also, heat can be helpful, but you have to look at that in context of any damage that might be done, for example to rubber parts.

Sometimes TIGHTENING a stuck fastener, if it gets it to move, will make it easier to remove it.

Steve
pollys1dad

Post by pollys1dad »

" if you put your point of view as looking up at the nut,"
Yes looking up at the nut, the socket on the ratchet is set to turn anti clockwise, moving the ratchet handle in the direction of the arrow does this.