essential tools for milling

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Lewayne

essential tools for milling

Post by Lewayne »

Is there a general list, somewhere on here, about essential tools for the milling machine, to get started?
I know that's a broad subject and depends on what one is doing with the machine. but general help would be appreciated, so I can start looking. already looking for a vice. but Not even sure what type on that.
Glenn Brooks

Re: essential tools for milling

Post by Glenn Brooks »

very important. Find a good machinist vise. Kurt is a popular vise. Also buy or make a set of T nuts and threaded hold downs for your milling table. Various lengths, you wil use them all. Third on the list for me would be a set of V blocks. These hold round stock square in the vise. Very important to have from time to time.

Also, maybe this is a prerequisite, a good dial indicator and magnetic stand. Can’t do any precision set up with out one.

And finally I use a starrett depth gauge and internal diameter micrometers quite a bit to measure width and depth of cut when milling slots

Tooling is half the battle! And Don’t be afraid to buy used off eBay. Doesn’t have to be new, or made in ‘merica, to be good. It just has to carry precision from part to part.

Good luck

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

A clamping set will be cheap. You will want parallels. I started with 1/8". You need a test indicator to tram the mill and vise.

You won't get anywhere without collets and a drill chuck. I recommend Golden Goose chucks over new Jacobs.

A way cover will keep swarf away from bearing surfaces.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

In addition to v-blocks, parallels and 123 blocks you will find a large collection of miscellaneous shims, blocks, and wedges quite handy. These are easily accumulated by not being too quick to toss small drops and cutoffs into the scrap bin.
Lewayne

Post by Lewayne »

Thanks for the advice. I have some of those things I got in lots I bid on from Ebay back when I got the lathe. Some of it doesn't even apply to the lathe. but I have a couple v blocks and a couple 123 blocks. I got a clamp set with the mill maybe missing a couple pieces. I have a good magnetic base for a dial and a couple dial indicators. I need a new test indicator. the one I had is all rusty now. Houston. I'll order a set of r8 collets soon. I have one and a bit that was in the mill when got it.

On the vice. I doube I can afford a Kurt, unless I found one on line. Is it OK to buy a used one or are they likely very worn?
Would you get one with a flat base that bolts directly to the table? I've seen them that rotate and tilt as well. Any thoughts on that would be good. Is a rotary table something I would need soon? I have to be careful what I'm spending.

The machine is still in the corner waiting until I deliver the benches I built for a hotel. I have a large pile of oak flooring, seriously in my way, that has to be installed in the garage apartment. Then some clean up and I will start disassembly of this old dirty rusty mill.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Kurt mill vices are the Gold Standard, and work wonderfully.
You can acquire one of the asian-built mill vices for much less $$. Several brands are available that copy the Kurt design, but don't pull down the jaws as well when tightening. So you need to carefully tap the part down as you tighten the jaws. I tend to do that even with the Kurt, just to guarantee accuracy.
I've never needed the rotary base that comes with some vices.
~RN
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

A couple of things:

What's your location? It might help if one of us has stuff you need and you can pick it up. I have several clamping kits for sale locally.

What milling machine are you using? You mention R8 so it might be a Bridgeport, but it could be a Grizzly mini mill.

That will have a huge impact on what you need.

For example, if you have a Bridgeport, you can use a 6" Kurt and you can pick up a good used one of those for only slightly more than a new import.

If you have a smaller mill and can only use a 3" vise, a 3" kurt is going to cost an arm and a leg and take you a year to find.

if your mill is small, the swivel base may be needed, but otherwise the general consensus here is that it sits in the drawer. In my case, I can't use the 3" kurt on my P&W mill without one because the vise only fits sideways.

To add to what everyone else has said, a set of machinist jacks. You will need them when you have a part that has to hang way off the end of the vise. Those can be a good lathe project, or you can pick them up cheap enough off ebay.

Steve
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

Also remember that it is not always necessary or even desireable to use a vise at all. A lot of work is better clamped directly to the table.
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

No-one has yet mentioned a good light. Essential to see what you are doing. I made this one from a length of 3/4" Lokline coolant hose.
Locline lamp
Locline lamp
A dead-blow hammer is really helpful, too, until you get the Kurt vise.
If you are a tall person, blocking up the mill so the table is at elbow height is very useful. It will save a lot of back problems from stooping. I know the table is the z-axis and goes up and down, but elbow height at the most used position is what is meant.
A boring head will be indispensable later on. Shar has a set that is Chinese made but still very useable at $90 for the 2" size.
You will find an edge finder handy, too. And on and on....
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

earlgo wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:59 pm No-one has yet mentioned a good light. Essential to see what you are doing. I made this one from a length of 3/4" Lokline coolant hose.
I have seen people take either a magnet or a magnetic indicator base and attach one of these desk lights from Ikea to it:
jansjo-led-work-lamp-red__0098929_PE240314_S4.JPG
Steve
Lewayne

Post by Lewayne »

OK, I'm located in HOUSTON Tx.
I think I still have several flex arms somewhere to build a light. I had saved them for that purpose, I think.
The machine is a Chinese Mill drill. nothing fancy but shoule do for my "play around" purposes.
I'm 70, and a retired( sort of) furniture maker and "not" starting a machine shop business. I do understand the short comings of the mill drill. IT is a fairly heavy duty gear head unit though.
I need to figure out how to post pictures on here soon.
I'm 5'9" and I was wondering what the height shoule be once I weld up a base. the table is not the Y axes on these machines, the head/quill is, so I guess I'll use the elbow height if that is correct.
johnfreese

Post by johnfreese »

Sooner or later you will need an angle plate. An edge finder and wiggler are near necessities.
Consider screw machine length drills instead of jobbers. They are really handy when you have limited headroom.