machining should square

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

whateg0

Re: machining should square

Post by whateg0 »

If you want to do in situ, could you affix a dremel to the tool rest and lightly grind it square while it runs? Doesn't sound like it would take much.

Dave
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

whateg0 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:10 pm If you want to do in situ, could you affix a dremel to the tool rest and lightly grind it square while it runs? Doesn't sound like it would take much.

Dave
Best idea yet.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

I took Chief's crazy suggestion, pulled the guards off, chucked up one end of the shaft (too lazy to get out the collets and I was machining the other end anyway), and put the other end in the live center.
20190411_204728.jpg
I gave it a light cut and that made an improvement.

Then I swapped out the crappy lawn mower wheel and put on one of my surface grinding wheels and the grinder stopped jumping around.

I think I'm going to go with making the arbor / washer combination too. I'll also make a sleeve for the 1" shaft to bring it up to 1-1/4" so I can run surface grinder wheels in it.

Steve