100+ Years ago

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Downwindtracker2

100+ Years ago

Post by Downwindtracker2 »

It gives me pause when I think about how many shells were expended on those bombardments . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IgHwYkZ91s
A man of foolish pursuits, '91 BusyBee DF1224g lathe,'01 Advance RF-45 mill/drill,'68 Delta Toolmaker surface grinder,Miller250 mig,'83 8" Baldor grinder, plus sawdustmakers
pete

Re: 100+ Years ago

Post by pete »

I'm just watching it now and thanks for the link. Who knows, one of my grandfathers was shipped over and fought in France during that war and may well of been close to one of those shells being fired. A bit earlier since it was built in 1889 but this was the breech closing mechanism for a bit larger naval gun, this really is an exceptional example of high precision manual machining that was possible 130 yrs ago.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UN1tOVzFrWY
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Allies reported expending 1,000,000 shells per month on the western front.
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Really tragic, on a human scale.
~RN
spro

Post by spro »

I watched the first video till near the end. It became that 7 1/2 minutes + 7 1/2 minutes +++ was a long time for each projectile and they were working fast pace. Chips and fluid going everywhere and these men were in the middle of it. Its astounding to think the expenditure of time, resources and people to build this one section of full out War to end all wars.
RSG

Post by RSG »

Wow! What a lot of work for something that will explode! Who knew there would be so many operations required in producing a projectile. Interestingly they were made in Dundas which is about an hour and a half from my place. I never knew that.
Vision is not seeing things as they are, but as they will be.
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

Amazing video! Imagine if a workman made a mistake after so much work had been done. The projectiles had to be spot-on. Any deviation from spec could mean the gun might not fire rendering it useless in the field.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
mcostello

Post by mcostello »

I have seen a reprint of an article for a "shell lathe." It was making about 8" shells. From the time the company got the order for some lathes, to when the first one was making shells was a week. Making the patterns and all. It had only 1 speed and 1 feed. Real possibility it was a plain bearing lathe. WW1 era.
The ones that did not explode are left for Us to worry about.
Downwindtracker2

This was in Canada, there are men doing the work. In France, the men were at the front, a lot of them buried there. Women were doing these jobs.
A man of foolish pursuits, '91 BusyBee DF1224g lathe,'01 Advance RF-45 mill/drill,'68 Delta Toolmaker surface grinder,Miller250 mig,'83 8" Baldor grinder, plus sawdustmakers
spro

Post by spro »

It all made sense in a way. Women are very careful and know about intricate things as weaving crocheting and many other things. Given the right machine, .. Women are commanding ships and serious aircraft. Back during the Wars when thousands of fighting men were slain, They either volunteered or were compelled into service. To my knowledge, they did splendid and more.
Can you imagine that you've already lost your husband and near anyone in a blast. I can see a young woman working in a plant to build munitions. I can almost feel the rage and attention to detail. This one shell out of hundreds Will take it back to those who did destroy my family.
spro

Post by spro »

Further in munitions; Nobody was compelled or forced to do the more dangerous parts. Unlike certain entities, it wasn't slave labor or political prisoners.
Downwindtracker2

After the war, women got the vote. Many credit their war work.