Wood Shaper Cleaning Up Steel Block

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

K. Browers

Re: Wood Shaper Cleaning Up Steel Block

Post by K. Browers »

Hello again. I just opened your photos and expanded them. Your set of cutters has etching on them one is labeled cutter and one is labeled limiter. The limiter is the cutter that should be installed in what seems the backwards direction The cutter body also has straight knives held in by wedges these can be removed and the knives will come out for sharpening in the same manner as your profile knives are sharpened.. It looks to be a quality industrial type of moulding head. Perhaps the original maker is still in business so you could purchase spares if needed... be safe...
Karel
K. Browers

Post by K. Browers »

Lo and behold here you go....https://www.whitehill-tools.com/ :D
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Harold_V wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 3:49 am You have to be a little careful when buying a product suited for etching concrete, as it is often hydrochloric (or Muriatic) acid.
I would never use or recommend HCL for this purpose, but thank you, this is (as it turns out) a very timely wakeup.

When I first started using that over a decade ago, based on an online recommendation (one of the machinists site, no idea which) that called out the HD source I used, I checked the content and confirmed that it was phosphoric, and really never thought about it again. Years ago I went through several jugs, but I don't think I've bought any of it new since I've been in the new shop/house, which is something like 7 years now, and no longer have the original container (just 2 gallons used mix in a gas jug that's about dead). I knew I was low, and not too long ago stumbled onto OSPHO for a great price, something I haven't seen since I was in FL (where VERY highly regarded in ship/boat yards), and bought a jug of that. Glad I did...

Anyway, I just looked for it on HD website, and the only thing they stock now is a Rustoleum product, and the SDS says it uses Urea Monohydrochloride, a variety of HCL. The other options for "order online" also show the same general content. I don't recall the brand I used to get, but it's definitely not the Rustoleum. So I'll have to stop re-recommending that option, and strike that from my list of options and recommendations. You can still find Phosphoric compounds available in various cleaners and such, but I wasn't able to find anything that looked like the bottle I recall.

SO THANK YOU! Both for giving me a heads up, and keeping me from propagating bad advice.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
pollys1dad

Post by pollys1dad »

K. Brouwers thanks for input. I do own a spindle moulder, US wood shaper. See attached photos of getting Gertrude onto her new mobile base I also have a 2nd hand power, roller feed to run with her. I have had training in the safe use of the machine. The actual head is to fit on my Multico TM1 tenoner machine but also fits on the spindle moulder.
Mr Ron, thanks, yes can get Evapo-Rust here in UK too
Thanks everyone else who has contributed advice.
Attachments
C.JPG
A.JPG
spro

Post by spro »

The 2nd pic shows what the load balancer was about. Right interesting, radial machine attachment. I'm sure that moulder head/blades were useful and that fence is particularly suited for finger joints and other terminology.
Inspector

Post by Inspector »

Spro I believe the fingers of the fence are to break up the sound of spinning cutters. They also might be individually adjustable to get close to the cutter for better guarding and support, I can't quite tell from the picture. Some jointers used to come with fingers around the cutter head to suppress noise.

Nice toy to say the least. Has it got a sliding table too?

Pete
pollys1dad

Post by pollys1dad »

Hi,
" They also might be individually adjustable to get close to the cutter for better guarding and support " Your quite right,

" Nice toy to say the least." Should see what the real big boys use :) mine is 3.75 hp 240v 16 amps and tiddly compared to lot of the more powerful machines, move up into 3 phase start talking 7.5hp and more. " Has it got a sliding table too? " Comes as an optional attachment.