Wavy washers

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

toolroom

Wavy washers

Post by toolroom »

I hope this question is in the correct forum, as I have an application to utilize a wavy washer. The posed question is: How does someone determine the tensile strength /compression value of a wavy washer. My 19th Edition machinery's Handbook says nothing about the wavy washers. Does anyone in the forums know how to calculate the compression value of wavy washers? Internet doesn't help much, unless I am searching in the wrong place.
Thanks in advance for any information.
Magicniner

Re: Wavy washers

Post by Magicniner »

Ask a Manufacturer.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
pete

Post by pete »

You could also try a search for Belleville washers as well. I believe that's the more common industrial name.
spro

Post by spro »

All we had to do was look a Glenn's links. A " wavy washer" is a set above regular shimming. If it is the right category and heat responsive, it can do what flat shims can't.
toolroom

Post by toolroom »

Wow, Thanks for all the information. I printed the page out for future references. I appreciate the help. Thanks again!
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

pete wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 11:20 pm You could also try a search for Belleville washers as well. I believe that's the more common industrial name.
No, wave washers are different. Belleville washers are sort of dome-shaped and flatten out under pressure. They typically have quite a high spring constant. Wave washers are "wavy": alternating high and low areas. They have lower spring constants.

Belleville washers: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belleville_washer

Wave washers: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washer_(h ... ng_washers
pete

Post by pete »

Thanks for the clarification John. As usual there's always more to learn.