Fed up With Crummy Rotary Tools

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

John Hasler

Re: Fed up With Crummy Rotary Tools

Post by John Hasler »

Mr Ron wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:58 pm I wouldn't buy a Proxxon. In the latest Micro Mark catalog, their Proxxon 16" scroll saw is selling for $189.99, reduced from $237.45. If you look closely, it is identical to a Harbor Freight or Wen scroll saw that sells for less than $100. It does come with a flexible shaft attachment. Proxxon tools are way overpriced IMO.
What would you buy?
RONALD

Post by RONALD »

Way back, I think Dremel had their factory in a suburb north of Chicago (North Chicago?), I remember their service was very prompt and correct.

Today they are in Racine, I might think of driving that far, but I usually will buy a newer model, if it goes bad.

Google: "dremel factory store" to read about their repair facility, Google has views of the building.

I bought a Proxxon small chop/miter saw, but from a place that had a better price than Micro Tools.

With it "rubber band" drive, it kept coming off the pulley until I turned a new pulley.

It's great for cutting small metal angle, etc., but the belt tends to slip with no way to adjust tension; I would give it a 6 out of 10; the words "Heavy Duty" are ludicrous.
Screen Shot 2019-06-20 at 4.47.24 PM.jpeg
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

Dentists use rotary tools; if you want a good one and you're willing to pay, that's what to look for.
Otherwise, get on Craigslist / ebay and buy 4 or 5 used Dremels [or whatevever]. I think many people buy them and never use them.

Bearings? Order from a bearing stockist. Those tiny ones can be expensive, but then you have a known good bearing.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I may have been too hard on the new tool. Maybe it's not defective. Maybe it's just wimpy.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I now have a Dumore. It arrived today. I installed the same tool that made the Dremel lose its lunch, and the Dumore purred like a kitten. It runs a Chinese (probably) burnishing tool with no complaints at all. I'm sure the tool is unbalanced and crude, and I think the poor balance is what upset the Dremel. Nonetheless, it's very obvious that a better rotary tool can deal with it.

Now I wonder if it's okay to return the Dremel. I thought it was defective, but now I think it's just an inferior tool which is probably working as well as the design and construction permit. I dirtied up one of the sanding drums that came with it, so now I feel like I'm stuck with it.

It does have some gadgetry on it which could be useful, as long as I don't overtax it.
Inspector

Post by Inspector »

Lots of people return tools after they use it some. If you feel it didn't meet the recommendations of a salesman or published specs then returning it is okay because it isn't fit for the job you were told it could do. If you bought it without researching thoroughly and you are disappointed then I feel it's yours. I would chalk it up to experience and keep it for the light duty stuff it was intended for.

Pete
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

It's interesting that the Dumore handles the load better. The bearings aren't particularly large compared to the Dremel's bearings, but the tool's case appears to be steel, whereas the Dremel seems to be fiberglass. I guess a heavy metal casing makes it more rigid.

It's considerably bulkier than the Dremel, but it's worth it to have a tool that works and lasts.