craftsman 15-1/2" drill press - buy or not?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

spro

Re: craftsman 15-1/2" drill press - buy or not?

Post by spro »

Some drill presses, you can look at them and walk past. Particularly irked when one is branded Rockwell. The ones I see on craigslist are so light weight compared to the 80's versions, I don't know how they could power through hardwood. I have a bench top Rockwell of the '80's era and its base, table and column weighs more.
There was an attempt to make the Sears, later Craftsman drill presses more sturdy. We could see it in the table bracing and many people are fond of them. The Newer old stuff is what is being sold. Sometimes they mention upgrade and mostly don't. Any drill press is better than none. There is a hidden price on going cheap.
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

There are industrial level and DIY level machine tools. It is assumed a DIYer doesn't need or want an expensive machine tool so they are made cheaply to satisfy that market. If one wants a serious piece of machinery, he has to look in the used industrial market. New! you will pay a high price. Tools that were produced after the turn of the 19th century up to around 1940, were either for industrial use or for the farmer. Very few were buying tools for hobby use until after the war when companies realized there was a market for DIYers. Tool companies started making two levels of machines; one for industry and the other for the DIYer.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
mike in wi

Re: counterweight

Post by mike in wi »

does the counterweight need to equal the weight of your table? and do you need to add to the counterweight with whatever the weight you add to the table while working?
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

I got lucky 31 years ago and stumbled across an Arboga geared drill press with eight speeds (lowest speed is 150 RPM), an MT3 spindle and a crank-up table. It was being sold at a machinery auction and although I didn't have an immediate need for it at the time, I bought it anyhow, figuring one day I'd be thankful for doing so. Since then, it's gotten a lot of use and has proven to be a good performer. Other than needing minor repair to the control switch and a new chuck, it was ready to run when I purchased it.

Arboga Geared Drill Press
Arboga Geared Drill Press
I also have an Enco drill press I bought new in 1978. It has an MT2 spindle, crank-up table and eight speeds, achieved with the use of two V-belts on stepped pulleys. Nowadays the Enco unit is collecting dust, but was running well when I last used it about 15 years ago. I may end up selling it one of these days.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D