Horrors of Buffer Safety

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Mr Ron

Re: Horrors of Buffer Safety

Post by Mr Ron »

RMinMN wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:16 am
You haven't spent much time in the kitchen have you. Sharp knives abound, hot surfaces are necessary, and dangerous chemicals lurk, plus one never knows when the other sex is going to walk in and see what you have done to her kitchen.
O contraire! I am the chief cook and bottle washer in our home. I do around 90% of the cooking. I keep my knives razor sharp, as a good cook should. A dull knife causes more injuries than a sharp one. My wife, although a pretty good cook, never sharpens a knife and saws away with a knife that couldn't cut butter. I've lectured her many times, but cooking is just not her specialty. I just finished making custard and am marinating a pork roast to put in the oven later. It's about time for lunch, so must go.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Seems like women always have terrible music collections (Kenny G., anyone?) and dull knives. On the other hand, they do change their sheets more often than men.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

SteveHGraham wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:20 pm Seems like women always have terrible music collections (Kenny G., anyone?) and dull knives. On the other hand, they do change their sheets more often than men.
I'm fortunate to have a wife who adores Brubeck's music. Her brother was a musician, so she was introduced to his music as a young girl. Brubeck is our favorite.

Oh, yeah! She changes the sheets on a regular basis, too! :wink:

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Harold:
I got to attend Dave Brubeck's last live concert at the Seattle Opera House!
Pretty cool experience.

As for this thread, every time I read "Horrors of Buffer Safety" I think of the railroad accidents in the UK
where crewmen were crushed trying to connect the coupling chains between cars!

Happy 4th!
~RN
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

NP317 wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:42 am Harold:
I got to attend Dave Brubeck's last live concert at the Seattle Opera House!
Pretty cool experience.
I started listening to Brubeck as a teenager, although I was also a great fan of rock of the 50's. After all, I was just a kid! :wink: Gave up listening to that genre when the Beatles broke in on the scene.

I attended countless numbers of Brubeck live performances before he disbanded the group in '67, as he commonly played Salt Lake City, especially early in his career. Even had the opportunity to talk with him on a couple occasions. He was one of the most decent individuals one could hope to meet, as was his base player, Eugene Wright. Morello wasn't very friendly, nor was Desmond. I adored them, not withstanding. And, as you said, pretty cool experiences. I have the fondest of memories!

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Bentworker

Post by Bentworker »

Did you decide to bolt the buffer down?
Shop toys...
10X54" Vectrax GS20F mill with DRO & frequency drive (saved from the scrap pile).
Jet 13x40 lathe.
Powermatic 1150 drill press.
I love Craigslist!
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

No. I like the idea of a mobile buffer. I'm not going to drill holes in my floor every time I move things around.
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

Harold_V wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:06 pm
I'm fortunate to have a wife who adores Brubeck's music. Her brother was a musician, so she was introduced to his music as a young girl. Brubeck is our favorite.
H
I guess we are both from the same generation. I like Brubeck along with the Beatles, Earl Garner, Ahmed Jamal and many other jazz greats. I could go on and on about music, but this is already OT.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
Bentworker

Post by Bentworker »

For what it is worth Baldor makes and sells a lot of buffers - and in their instructions they indicate "The buffer must be securely bolted to a rigid mounting surface. If a pedestal is used, first bolt pedestal securely to floor and then bolt buffer to pedestal."

https://www.baldor.com/shared/manuals/906-903.pdf

Maybe you will be the first guy to make some sort of perimeter or floor track quick release system for tools.
906-903.pdf (P).jpg
Shop toys...
10X54" Vectrax GS20F mill with DRO & frequency drive (saved from the scrap pile).
Jet 13x40 lathe.
Powermatic 1150 drill press.
I love Craigslist!
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

My plan is to put a sturdy platform under the buffer, using bolts, and buff very carefully. The safety switch appears to be inappropriate for a home shop, so I want to replace it with a switch I can hit with my foot. Today it occurred to me that I might throw a rope over a truss and tie the buffer to it, so if it goes nuts, at least it won't be able to go anywhere while it spins down.

I'm not looking for absolute safety. For now, while the final location of the machine is undecided, I will be satisfied with reasonable safety.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Baldor also says you have to bolt a 6" bench grinder down.
spro

Post by spro »

Are saying that you don't ? They come up to 3450 rpm very rapidly and need to be fixed tightly to stable surface.