RF-45 oil seal replacement

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

jcfx

RF-45 oil seal replacement

Post by jcfx »

Any owners of dovetail column RF-45 mills ?
I buggered up one of the two spindle shaft oil seals so I figured I would replace both
but these shaft seals are normally pressed in from the flat face side, the seals in the mill are
in a end cap so the flat face is facing down, I'm hesitant in removing the head cap the seals are in
because I see no way of getting it back to align with the spindles spline shaft .

Anyone ever replace them on their RF -45 clone, if so any tips ?
Inspector

Re: RF-45 oil seal replacement

Post by Inspector »

There was a chap that was going through a rebuild of his, I think, Grizzly version a few years ago but he never did complete his thread on putting it back together. He did describe how he pulled it apart. Mine leaks a tiny amount from around the spindle. I put a cup under it to catch the little bit that does come out and wipe it all off before starting to mill anything. If it ever gets worse I'll pull it apart then.
jcfx

Post by jcfx »

Do you have an idea who the member is, assuming he's a member of this forum ?
It would make searching for the thread easier.
Inspector

Post by Inspector »

This is the thread by AlphaGeek.

http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/vie ... RF45+gears

He hasn't been around since 2012 so I don't know if he will reply to a message.

Pete
jcfx

Post by jcfx »

Thanks Inspector, it's a informative link, even though he doesn't get to that oil seal, luckily his Flicker images
are still up.It's interesting how my experience with a new, never run RF-45 clone is so similar in regards to the swarf
inside the mill head, and a missing bearing cover, I suspect a good portion of the large 'chips" he found in the head were
from the bearing cover that was chewed up by the gear. I have to wonder if his problems were because he didn't do
any pre maintenance before using the mill.