Push Drill Bit Compatibility

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

SteveHGraham

Push Drill Bit Compatibility

Post by SteveHGraham »

The other day I went to a flea market and saw a bunch of push drills selling cheap. A push drill is like a ratcheting screwdriver. A tool like this can be useful for certain things.

Problem: none of the drills had bits with them.

I looked around for bits on Ebay, and I saw that there were different brands. My question is this: should I expect push drill bits for one brand to fit another manufacturer's drill?

I am considering using a push bit in my Dumore drill press to make nice holes for stitching leather. Maybe the push drill itself is not needed.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
tornitore45

Re: Push Drill Bit Compatibility

Post by tornitore45 »

I would not mess with push bits. For leather you can make a tube punch on any dimension on your lathe and use the DP, the mill or a hammer.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

A 1/16" tube that won't get clogged with leather?
Russ Hanscom

Post by Russ Hanscom »

as to the original question, push drill bits appear to have a standard shank and are interchangeable - at least that is the case for the several brands I have.
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

Garrett Wade catalog still sells the push drills, perhaps they have spare bits.
And they do: https://www.garrettwade.com/push-drill- ... -bits.html
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Thanks for that link.

I can get push drills in great condition for nearly nothing at the local flea market, but bits are unobtainable.
spro

Post by spro »

These are all the North Bros. Yankee patent. The thing is; the smaller ones break and were discarded. There is usually half the length remaining and can be ground sharp again.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

I love my Yankee push drill. I can drill a hole faster than I can either run an extension cord or find the Makita and get it out of its case.

I also occasionally use the old time hand crank drills.

Steve
spro

Post by spro »

I'm sure that you are familiar with the North Bros / Yankee drill press. They are very cool and cute and clamp to a bench. Crank driven there are two speeds by shifting bevel gears in a few seconds. The table is round and good quality and fully adjustable to height. They have the automatic advance option built at the top. I think that for leather ..and in fact seen them used for custom belts and such. Outdoor markets didn't have all that much electric to access but they did fine. The chucks held regular twist drills too.
spro

Post by spro »

Getting back to the topic; There were other push drills which held drill bits having a spline shaft. Goodell Pratt comes to mind. I also picked up the "egg beater" style in many flavors until I quit looking. There were differences in them between manufacturers. Quite clever some.