Winding springs

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Mr Ron

Winding springs

Post by Mr Ron »

I have watched some videos on making springs and read about it in text books, so I know the principals of spring winding on a lathe. One way of doing it was to wind around an arbor with the coils tight against each wind; then stretching past it's elastic limit to produce a compression spring. Another way was to wind using a thread pitch to produce a compression spring directly. I was wondering if I could wind the wire around a threaded rod or screw letting the wire follow the thread pitch. I don't know if this is an acceptable way to do it.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
Harold_V

Re: Winding springs

Post by Harold_V »

It's been many years since I last wound a spring, but I think it's safe to say that using a threaded form would work well enough, assuming you duplicate the pitch when winding the desired spring. That would be important if the overall length is quite long. For just a few turns, maybe not so important, depending on the distance between the created spring and the restraint used on the wire.

When you unleash the restraint on the created spring, do remember that it will change the size, due to spring back. Pitch, too, is likely to change.

I'd enjoy seeing what you manage to create if you make the attempt.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
jcfx

Post by jcfx »

The only problem I see in using a threaded rod is that you wont be able to make
the tight coiled lead in and out of the spring, it would depend on the wire gauge that
you're using whether you need that lead in and out, grinding the ends flat would work on thicker gauge wire.

I prefer using the thread pitches on the norton box on my lathe to make compression springs with
mandrels of various sizes, metric and inch because of what Harold said about spring back.
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

I didn't take the tight coils at the beginning and end of the spring into account; good point. I guess I'll go back to the approved way of winding a spring.
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

I tried winding a spring using .020 piano wire around a 1/4" mandrel (Sexist term in Ca.). After unwinding, the coil was 1/2" diameter. I wanted 3/8" diameter and a bit stiffer spring. I'm guessing .030 wire would be better, but I don't know what diameter of mandrel to use. The free coil length will be about 5/8", compressed to about 1/4".
mklotz

Post by mklotz »

Mr Ron wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:29 pm I tried winding a spring using .020 piano wire around a 1/4" mandrel (Sexist term in Ca.). After unwinding, the coil was 1/2" diameter. I wanted 3/8" diameter and a bit stiffer spring. I'm guessing .030 wire would be better, but I don't know what diameter of mandrel to use. The free coil length will be about 5/8", compressed to about 1/4".
I wrote a program to calculate the proper mandrel size for spring winding. It's based on Kozo Hiraoka's article in "Home Shop Machinist", July/August 1987, pg. 30.

You can download it from my page. Look for the MANDREL archive.
Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz
Magicniner

Post by Magicniner »

Older versions of Machinery's Handbook have a table for mandrel size & wire size for finished spring size for Piano Wire.
Hemingway Tools have a kit for a spring winder which is adjustable for pitch (http://www.hemingwaykits.com/cgi-bin/sh ... aHK_201970) but it's easy to make something to do the job once you grasp the concept.
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

I wound a spring using .030 MIG wire around a 1/4" mandrel and it came out perfect. It turned out slightly less than the 3/8" diameter spring I was wanting. With a little tweaking of the mandrel diameter I will get to 3/8". I made it as a tension spring and stretched it out into a compression spring form.