Replace v belt question

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

rjitreeman0909

Replace v belt question

Post by rjitreeman0909 »

My 29 year old ENCO 110-1350 Lathe still has the original B- width
belt. Without saying, it has stiffened with age and the overlap at the seam is stiffer than the rest. That stiff area becomes obvious by introducing a irregularity in the otherwise smooth running machine. Machine presently has a 1.5hp motor which I may soon change to a 2hp.
Has anyone used a BX, rather than plain B belt? BX is a segmented belt and is considered heavy duty. I believe that is because the segments allow the belt to more easily confirm to the pulley V and therefore reduce the slippage when taking a heavy cut. My concern is over possible resonance being created by the segments.
Attachments
BE Belt
BE Belt
th.jpeg (6.68 KiB) Viewed 5470 times
J.Ramsey

Re: Replace v belt question

Post by J.Ramsey »

rjitreeman0909 wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:35 am
Has anyone used a BX, rather than plain B belt? BX is a segmented belt and is considered heavy duty. I believe that is because the segments allow the belt to more easily confirm to the pulley V and therefore reduce the slippage when taking a heavy cut. My concern is over possible resonance being created by the segments.
On My Grizzly 14x40 about 15 years ago I replace the belts with the belts you're referring to.
I'm running a 33% reduction in speed and never have experienced any slippage buy using one belt verses the original dual belt setup.
And it does run considerably smoother than the standard belts.
b3 (Small).JPG
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

My experience, cogged belts always run smoother with less vibration, especially with smaller diameter pulleys. They tend to not 'take a set', like standard v-belts do, when they sit for a while. They last longer, and, will handle more torque. Changing to cogged belts has saved me from having to redesigning to larger section pulleys in many cases for engine accessory drives.
I have replaced many standard v-belts with cogged belts, and always had improved performance, the last being my swamp cooler for my shop. I got tired of the 'thumpity-thupity-thump it had.
And the cost, is not much more.

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

I bought a wide cogged belt for my electric boat motor; the specs on them is impressive compared to V-belts, which are just a hold over from the Victorian era.
V-belts slip, slip makes heat, heat kills V-belts. So you make them bigger, double them, tension then just so.

I'm going to use cogged belts whenever I can in future.

My supplier is in the UK, what will I do after Brexit??
mcostello

Post by mcostello »

Businesses will not miss an opportunity to make a buck. Someone will fill the void.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

Local suppliers are double price.
The UK has internet business like the US, they sell at crazy thin margins and keep their volume high enough by having a national market.
Other EU countries don't seem to have figured it out; German firms rarely post out of Germany, the same with French. Other countries are too small to have the volume. Everyone is language bound too.

Import from non EU countries carries a lengthy [months] and expensive [+50%] customs procedure that takes all the fun out.

Even many UK companies don't mail out to other EU states, and if they do the postage cost is too high; but there are good private shippers who will bring mail order stuff for me from there, I pick up at their depot.

Like cogged [timing] pulleys + belts, strips of brass and copper bar, tractor batteries, and other things you get by mail order but I don't in Portugal.

I even order cutting and way oils from the UK.
Rolland

Post by Rolland »

I use the link belts on all my equipment, never had any problems with them. McMasters has them.
Bill_Cook

Post by Bill_Cook »

Gates, for one, recommends not using a B belt on a pulley with a pitch diameter less than 5.4". That comes out to be 6" OD. The X series is a more flexible solution for smaller pulleys. That's all. The notches don't increase traction, cause vibration or noise.

Another thing to be aware of is that while other series belts are measured around the outside, a letter series (A, AX, B, BX, C, CX...) belt is measured at the pitch line. B and BX series belts measure 3" longer around the outside than say an L series of the same length designation and width. With A and AX it's 2".

As an industrial mechanic I deal with a lot of belts.
BC

If there was only one way to do each machining job, the smell of sulphurized cutting oil smoke would have fewer fond memories.
spro

Post by spro »

You are right on. !