Fix my Generator

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

John Evans

Re: Fix my Generator

Post by John Evans »

Yes on the coil but first put in a NEW spark plug !!! Gas can wet foul a plug but it will fire in open air but not under compression. Ya ride enough motorcycles ya learn that quick.
www.chaski.com
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

It probably has a magneto and an ignition module similar to this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0057 ... UTF8&psc=1

On some engines if the needle valve leaks or the float sinks or sticks so that the bowl overflows gasoline can fill the intake mainfold, flow into a cylinder through an open or leaky valve, into a cylinder, and then dribble past the rings into the oil pan.

If fuel dribbles out after you've cranked the engine for a while you are flooding it. That should never happen with the choke open.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

The generator runs. Do not ask me for an explanation.

I decided to twiddle the throttle while cranking it, which was scary, because if the engine did anything funny, the drill would twist my wrist pretty badly. I had to let go of the drill's second handle and hold it with one hand.

The generator started flatulating periodically, and it roared to life unexpectedly. White smoke filled the workshop. I went to open the second garage door and turn on a fan, and I forgot to open the choke. The motor died, and I had quite a time getting it going a second time. I saw that the fuel line was in the wrong place, obstructing the throttle. Fixed that, and started it again. This time it ran out of gas.

The third time I got it going, it went pretty well. I kept going until the fluttering and smoke disappeared. It looks like I can't run it with the choke wide open. It has to be at about 3/4. I don't know why. I haven't checked the RPMs or the exact voltage yet. The little Chinese meter on it says it's over 120/240, but I believe that's normal. I think it should be between 125 and 130.

Anyway, it appears that it will function with a little more work. I don't have total confidence in the gas. I would say it's two months old, treated with Biobor EH. I was out of ethanol-free.

Now that it's running, I can be sure the hurricane will miss me. The more you prepare, the more certain it is that a storm won't hit you.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

If it won't run, or at least run well, without the choke on some, you are not getting enough gas.
Float level too low.
Carb needs adjusted....depending on your carb.
Needle valve not opening all the way. (The choke on will open it up, by vacuum)
Plugged/dirty main-jet, or water in the bottom of the bowl.

My MTD tractor used to get like that every 2, maybe 3, years, back when I still had to run gasoline with corn squeezin's in it. I'd adjust it to the point I couldn't anymore to keep the RPM's where they ought to be at full load. After I couldn't adjust it anymore, I had to take apart the carb & clean it. The main jet always looked like a scaled up water pipe. The wonders of mandated ethanol.
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

I vote for crud partially plugging the jet.
I've seen your symptoms on my carbed Russian motorcycles, and cleaning the jets solved the issue.
RN
SLK001

Post by SLK001 »

SteveHGraham wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:04 pmNow that it's running, I can be sure the hurricane will miss me. The more you prepare, the more certain it is that a storm won't hit you.
Wow... you're probably right! I guess that I will get out tomorrow and put up my shutters. Once I'm prepared, Dorian will go pick on someone else!
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

SLK001 wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:16 pm
SteveHGraham wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:04 pmNow that it's running, I can be sure the hurricane will miss me. The more you prepare, the more certain it is that a storm won't hit you.
Wow... you're probably right! I guess that I will get out tomorrow and put up my shutters. Once I'm prepared, Dorian will go pick on someone else!
Or Steve has the wrong size (too small) jet.
He did say he changed the carb.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

It's a new carb. I need a manual to figure out how to adjust it. I installed it right out of the box, as adjusted at the factory in Qingdao.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

BTW, Dorian is now projected to stay far away. Now I can go get the bigger Predator generator I really want.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

If you are playing with a Honda clone....there is not much to adjust.
Float level....which on a Honda, the float is about level when it closes the needle & seat.
Idle speed, which is pretty obvious.
The Idle mix screw. Also simple. Turn it in until the engine starts to slow down or sputter. Back it out a turn to a turn and a half. Then, adjust it in, or out, to where the engine idles the smoothest. You may have to readjust the idle speed when you are done.
Old stuff (like my Briggs in my MTD) has a high idle mix screw too....but I doubt you have that. I don't recall any Hondas having one, which is what the China knockoffs generally copy.
What kind of generator is it?
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

It's a Champion 5500-watt.

I think it may be okay. Last night I read that the air filter has to be installed to prevent a two-stroke from running lean. I had the filter off while I worked on it.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

A small engine should run with the choke open at your temperatures. I'm surprised that it needs full choke to start. I suggest that you replace the ignition module[1]. It contains electronics that replace the points and impulse coupling and can produce symptoms similar to what you describe.

[Edit] A missing air filter could definitely cause problems.

The fuel leaking into the crankcase still needs investigating, though.

[1] It's possible that the engine has a piezoelectric igniter rather than a magneto.