Caliper battery covers

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

whateg0

Caliper battery covers

Post by whateg0 »

I keep losing the covers for the batteries on my HF digital calipers. I hate to go buy another set, as I already probably have 6 of them scattered around. Well, three were in the drawer missing batteries and covers. I also have a fancy housekey with an LED built in so I can see the keyhole, but the cover for it has been broken for some time and it barely works without it. So, last night I decided it was time to fix those. 3D printed covers for all, plus a couple extra. If you have a need, let me know and I'll send you the STL or maybe even just print some more and mail them out.
caliper battery cover.jpg
key battery cover.jpg
Dave
Steggy

Re: Caliper battery covers

Post by Steggy »

Being an obdurate curmudgeon, I prefer calipers that don't use a battery. It's not just due to the irritation that comes when you need the caliper and the battery is too weak to get a measurement.

Digital calipers depend upon a linear encoder for determining positioning. Even the best linear encoders are not 100 percent linear due to various limitations related to manufacturing any digital transducer. Furthermore, a linear encoder's linearity is affected by temperature—the warmth of the machinist's hands can perturb some encoders. Nearby sources of electromagnetic radiation can also affect the encoder's repeatibility.

If one is truly concerned about precision, the best choice is a vernier (non-dial) caliper or a mike. Anything electronic will never achieve the accuracy of a purely mechanical measuring instrument.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

Be that as it may, sometimes nothing beats the convenience of digital. I have dial calipers as well as verniers, but most of the time, I reach for the digitals. If I need real accuracy, I am probably not using calipers anyway. These probably suffer more inaccuracy from being made cheaply than they do from their digital nature.
armscor 1

Post by armscor 1 »

My eyes are not what they used to be, large digital display, absolute and incremental, takes the math out.
chucketn

Post by chucketn »

What program did you design them in? I have at least one caliper missing the battery cover.
I would love to have the STL.
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

BigDumbDinosaur wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:44 pm Being an obdurate curmudgeon, I prefer calipers that don't use a battery. It's not just due to the irritation that comes when you need the caliper and the battery is too weak to get a measurement.

Digital calipers depend upon a linear encoder for determining positioning. Even the best linear encoders are not 100 percent linear due to various limitations related to manufacturing any digital transducer. Furthermore, a linear encoder's linearity is affected by temperature—the warmth of the machinist's hands can perturb some encoders. Nearby sources of electromagnetic radiation can also affect the encoder's repeatibility.

If one is truly concerned about precision, the best choice is a vernier (non-dial) caliper or a mike. Anything electronic will never achieve the accuracy of a purely mechanical measuring instrument.
The same issue that affects digital calipers also affects non-digital instruments, namely temperature; but I do favor verniers over digital, as I never know if the digital is right-on or not. It's the same thing with digital clocks vs sweep hand clocks; you don't know how many seconds into a one minute cycle you are in. All digital clocks should have seconds readout.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
NP317

Post by NP317 »

I prefer my digital calipers for 90% of the measurements I make. My eyesight is definitely a factor.
Working in both SAE and Metric, a simple button press does the conversions for my brain. That decreases mistakes big time.
For accurate diameter readings I use both vernier and digital micrometers.

All of my digital measurement tools (except for my 12" calipers) are made by Mitutoyo. No compromise on quality.
I've never had difficulty machining parts to the target dimensions. Of course I seldom work closer than 0.0005 ".
Press and slide fits get a more careful machining "by feel" as I was taught by my "instructors."

That's my measurement story.
And I LOVE the idea of making replacement battery covers by 3D printing. Well done!
RN
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

I never would have tried this with our older 3d printer, but the new sla printer does an incredible job on fine details so I figured it would work great for small items like this. It's been great fun!
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Doesn't matter what caliper others like. I think it's cool you can make things like those covers, with your 3-D printer! :)
I will keep that in mind, next time I need something like that, that has gone MIA. My son has a 3-D printer. I suppose I will have to buy the beer.....

;)
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

I'd say the beers are cheap, but I think it cost me 4 cents on resin. Of course I never count my time and effort or else this would be a money losing hobby!
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

whateg0 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:04 pm I'd say the beers are cheap, but I think it cost me 4 cents on resin. Of course I never count my time and effort or else this would be a money losing hobby!
I'm already ahead on the resin. I bought him a bunch of different colors last Christmas!
:)
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

One thing I like about my vernier caliper is that it reads inches and millimeters.
An easy way to see if you picked up a metric part or screw or an inch part.
I worked in electronic for 55 years and developed a high distrust of anything electronic built to commercial standards.
Yes electronic can be extremely reliable, like stuff I designed.

My digital caliper still work. When turned on it reads a random number that needs to be zeroed before measuring.
Switching from metric to imperial and vice versa it still reads a random number. It automatically turn off before the next measure and the process has to be restarted. Previous digital have failed in a less honorable way.
No thanks. Is vernier or dial. If I need accuracy out comes the mike of which I have collected more than a handful at flea markets and still read good.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX