Plasma cutter options

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

choprboy

Plasma cutter options

Post by choprboy »

My old Miller Spectrum 300 has about outgrown its usefulness to me. Suppose to cut 1/4+", but that has always been a stretch. Looking to buy something capable of 1/2" clean cuts for the occasional day or two of heavy use. Thought about getting an oxy/acet torch, would like it for the heating option, but I don't think its worth the extra hassle at the moment (cost/edge hardening on pieces to be milled).

I have been reading thru the old threads, looking for something in the 50-60A class under $1000. Thinking about either a used Lincoln Procut 55 (haven't seen it yet, suppose to work but who knows) or a new Everlast 50S/60S (the built in CNC option might be useful in the furture?). Looked at the Eastwood and Klutch, but for both the useful negative reviews seem to overwhelming be that 1-3 days of max range use and the machine dies. The Lotos seems not up to snuff (power/duty cycle wise) and I haven't seen a Hypertherm for a descent price. I would like a new Lincoln or Miller, but I can't justify the cost for home use.

Anyone have any other options I should be looking at?
GlennW

Re: Plasma cutter options

Post by GlennW »

I've been in that position many times with machines and tools and have never once wished I had gone with the smaller or cheaper one after I made my decision, but have on a number of occasions wished I had gone with the bigger better more expensive one!

If it's something you enjoy doing, just get the one you want and get it over with!
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

I wish we were all in a position to just get the one we want. I know there are times I hear questions from people who have the option and don't know and of course, they are steered toward the bigger option. Most of us, though, I think end up with something smaller than we ultimately need because at the time, we don't have a need for bigger, and more importantly, most of the time, we don't have the money for the bigger, better thing. It comes down to making parts now, or sitting on the couch dreaming of making parts. Often, the smaller whatever gets us by until we can afford bigger, or sometimes the smaller pays for the purchase of bigger. But I don't think it's right to chastise people who start small and get bigger.

Dave
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Chastise?
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
ChipMaker4130

Post by ChipMaker4130 »

I have a Hypertherm PowerMax 600, an older unit. It is a 40A machine, has very good consumable life and cuts 1/2" steel very nicely. I've cut long runs of 1/2" steel and never had the machine stop due to 'duty cycle'. I get tired before the Hypertherm does! The larger versions of this make might suit you and I suspect could be found used in your stated price range.

Consumables can get expensive so it pays to research typical life for each brand you consider. They are not all the same in that regard.
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

GlennW wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:07 pmChastise?
Sorry, maybe it wasn't meant that way. I may have misinterpreted it. I have seen way too often, somebody wants to go to a bigger machine, be it a welder, mill, 3D printer, whatever, and somebody gets on and says, well, you should have bought bigger the first time. That happened to me when I was researching my current MIG welder. I had a Campbell Hausfeld welder at the time, but because it was what I could afford, and also because I didn't know any better. It served me well, but when the time came to up my game, I had several people get onto me because I shouldn't have bought junk to begin with, or I should have spent 3x the money for a real welder instead of "making the mistake of buying too small". So, it struck a nerve. Sorry if that wasn't the intent.

Dave
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

The Millers are a really good machine. I bought several, for different jobs. They are also really expensive.
The Lincolns I bought were good, unless you tried to use them in places with dirty power. (Voltage fluctuations) Their inverter-welders had the same problem. I ended up replacing 3 welders an a plasma cutter at one job alone, with Millers. We got tired of sending them off for repair, but happy about the warranty!
Haven't run a Hypertherm, but a friend has one. He tells me it's as good or better as any Miller he has run. Still made in USA as far as I know. Also pricey.
No clue on Eastwood. No idea how any of their electrics are, as I've only bough misc hand tools from them.

I have a Northern Tool 40 amp I picked up about 5 years ago. Was rated quite well at the time, but my particular model has been discontinued, and replaced, and maybe the replacement is not as a reliable machine as mine, or I'm just lucky.
I bought it for cutting stainless, mostly 1/8" and thinner, and it does great at that. It will cut 1/2" steel, but I can do better & faster with a torch. 3/8", it's a lot better at. It cuts 1/4" is quite respectably.
My reasoning, was usage. Again, I wanted it for thin stainless, and also, wasn't planning on every day utilization. And, it was priced at about a third of what a Miller was.
I am happy with my cheapy choice. The most work it has done was the job I bought it for. It stayed busy every day for a month. I think I've used mine a half a dozen times this year is all. Hard to justify the price of a Miler or Hypertherm for that.

Make sure you take a look at IPM for the thickness' you plan to cut. It drops off dramatically as you get up to the rated thickness, so, in other words, if you want to cut a lot of 1/2" plate, you need one that is rated for about double that, unless it's small/short cuts, or you are not in a hurry.

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
choprboy

Post by choprboy »

Yeah, IPM is a big thing I was looking at to compare different units (when you can find it listed in the manual). Based on my experience with the Spectrum 300, I've come to the conclusion you really want a minimum of about 15 IPM at a given thickness to consider it a clean cut, preferably closer to 20 IPM. Below that, and the many units that claim a clean cut at 7 or 8 IPM, you are just burning tips, heating up the material, and splattering slag everywhere.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Yup....it's a big thing, and I don't get why some mfg's don't list it......other than fear!

;)
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

I can't offer much except to say I have a small Hypertherm 380 and absolutely love it for automotive style stuff. Most typical heavy cut is 1/4" material (typically brackets, gussets, etc), and it works great for that. I've cut up to 3/8" with modestly degrading performance, but it suffers from a very ragged cut up to approaching 1/2" where it becomes increasingly poor. The only time I've ever run into problems was for some 4 link rock buggy link mount and/or bumper (shackle/winch) brackets. It also readily converted several stripped parts vehicles into manageable pieces for delivery to the scrap yard. And makes boat-tails, boat-sides, rock rails, and fitting tubing into/through bodies a fairly trivial task. Too much to list.

All in all it works great if you have the compressor to keep it running. Like others have said, I've never hit it's duty cycle before I hit my own...

Also, HT means easy/common/cheap access to consumables that perform well in my experience. Something that i believe (IIRC?) is not true for Miller (same problem for their MIG torches, where many swap to Tweco) and some of the others. Something to check into and consider.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
LIALLEGHENY

Post by LIALLEGHENY »

A good friend of mine who had 40 years in the welding industry, before he went to work as a salesperson, specifically told me to buy a Hypertherm plasma cutter. He explained that they were the leader in the industry that all others were trying to copy. They held the majority of the patents . I respected his advise and wisdom, as he would not sell you a machine that you did not need , or one he felt was junk, as it would fall on his back if you had problems. ( It wasn't about a paycheck to him). He not only sold the machines, but would go and set them up for the customers and show them how to use them. He was known to take a roll of duct tape with him to his customers, and tape off the knobs and switches that he didn't want his customers to play with if they weren't needed for the jobs they were doing. He never steered me wrong.
I wound up buying a Max 70, which is no longer made, and I absolutely love it. It will cut 3/4" plate and sever 1" plate. Try cutting 11 ga sheet and you can't move fast enough. I also wound up buying a Miller Spectrum 300, for doing the light sheet metal work. The Spectrum 300 was made by Hypertherm for Miller. Another thig I was specifically told was DO NOT BUY AFTERMARKET CONSUMABLES, unless you want to have problems with the machines and how they cut. You may think your saving money, but in the end you're not.

Nyle