Made a shop press

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Tool Junkie

Re: Made a shop press

Post by Tool Junkie »

That came out great!
I built a 32 ton rolling head press 20 years ago for a total outlay of $300, and I just completed a 34 inch wide finger/pan brake for it that I have about $50 invested in.
My cousin once told me that, that he could have most anything he wanted, as long as he could make it himself!!!!
Tool Junkie

Post by Tool Junkie »

I didn't stutter!! Don't know why it shows twice.

That happens!
It's been removed.

H
NP317

Post by NP317 »

You can say that again!
RN
reubenT

Post by reubenT »

I made one years ago to press dozer pins and bushings with a 50 ton hand jack. Just a section of heavy H beam with a few things welded to it. It sits in the shop and gets used occasionally. Then I got a 3 ton arbor press from grizzly for doing keyways in bores with a broach set. It sees more use than the other one. Decided that with the cheap price of the arbor press it wasn't worth trying to make it, being I needed a rigid press rod to get even strait pressure, to prevent breaking cutters.
spro

Post by spro »

Thanks reubenT. I know you tuned it up. Some broaches are for steel and some for bronze. Since you know about the differences, the cutting angles aren't the same.