Piston or Wedge QCTP.

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Lew Hartswick

Re: Piston or Wedge QCTP.

Post by Lew Hartswick »

I think I see a couple of TO3 transistor mounting places on that .
...lew...
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Most likely so, but as is typical of defense work, what goes where or what is involved with the part beyond the information necessary for it to be produced is not made available. Where security is concerned, "need to know" plays a huge role in determining what you will be able to access.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
armscor 1

Post by armscor 1 »

Hi Guys, relatively happy with my piston type QCTP, done some projects and performs well, only criticism is having to square up to the chuck after rotating, the turret has indexing pin.
Fitted knobs to the tool holders, easy to lower the tool holder without cocking and jamming in the dovetail.
Been watching reviews on the Multi fix QCTP, some good ones coming out of Asia, thinking of getting one for my other lathe, any opinions would be helpful.
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

Multi fix is the only way to go if you can stand the price. I have them on both my lathes. One post is a set from "Create Tool " in China ,had it for 3-4 years now works great. Other lathe has a Genuine Swiss made post I picked up used with 2 holders cheap, don't see a lot of difference between the 2. Highly recommen Create Tool very easy to deal with. At last count I have 20 holders to use between the 2 lathes.
www.chaski.com
pete

Post by pete »

Even the pros on the Practical Machinist forum don't have much to say against the Chinese built Multi Fix clones. https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/g ... 851/Anyone with Forrest Addy's experience and him liking them is good enough for me.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

From what I've seen, I love them. But I'm too cheap...
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
pete

Post by pete »

Hmmm, that link I added is faulty and it's now too late for an edit. For anyone interested enough just do a Google search for Practical Machinist Multi Fix and the thread will come up.
armscor 1

Post by armscor 1 »

I like the 40 tooth engagement and the small lever, could not achieve a better locking system and indexable to the same position.
Watched a youtube video where Create Tool is making them in China, very impressive.
An Aussie youtuber actually made a toolholder, used his slotter on the mill, for those interested he goes by Cam at Battler and for the first time I have seen he makes Knurled vise jaws, Knurled on the milling machine!
Like you BadDog I am too cheap but hopefully in the future the price will drop.