Pull start repair.

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Harold_V

Re: Pull start repair.

Post by Harold_V »

If the parts soldered with Sta-Silv Black will tolerate being quenched, simply plunge them in water immediately after they are soldered (make sure the solder has solidified). That will usually remove the fux.

I also like to blast, be it glass bead or abrasive (I use aluminum oxide).

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Cary Stewart

Post by Cary Stewart »

Mineral oil is he preferred oil for Oilite bearings. 3 & 1 Oil is an absolute No-No. It will cause the mineral oil to coagulate. That means the oil will not flow to the running surface as it warms up. I am guessing now but I suspect that the additives in any motor oil will not be compatible with the factory oil.
Cary
NP317

Post by NP317 »

I have used lathe way oil for all the moving parts on my Ten Wheeler steamer. Oilite bearings on most surfaces.
After 500+ miles of running I cannot measure any wear on the steel parts, and the bushings remain round and close fitting.
Pins are not hardened!
One advantage to the way oil: It is "stickier" and remains in place longer than many other types.
So far, so good.
RussN
B Mann

Post by B Mann »

Harold_V wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:23 pm
B Mann wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:49 pm Can you use lead pipe solder flux??? Not enough flux maybe where I went wrong. A learning experience. I am used to prefluxed solder.
No. The flux required for hard soldering (silver brazing, or silver soldering) is very different--it must be capable of handling the much higher temperatures involved. It is a water/alcohol based paste. There are formulations on the market sold under the Harris name, and commonly found at welding supply stores. Two types are available--one which is white, the other a dark brown color, which is the one I highly recommend. It is named Sta-Silv Black. It tolerates higher temperatures without failing.

If you fluxed with other materials, I'm surprised that you achieved any degree of success, assuming you used silver solder, not silver bearing solder.

Note that silver solder is not the same thing as silver bearing solder. Silver bearing solder melts at lower temperatures, and has lower tensile strength. It is silver in color. Silver solder (silver braze) melts in excess of 1,000° F and has a yellow color, due to the copper contained within.

H
Been a while since I checked the thread, but glad I did. I do have silver solder. And will look for the sta-silv flux. I do not use the silver solder very often. I picked it up for some copper piping. The HVAC guy said he does not use flux, because the copper is new. It did not even dawn on me to use it. Live and learn. Thanks
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

B Mann wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:29 pm The HVAC guy said he does not use flux, because the copper is new. It did not even dawn on me to use it. Live and learn. Thanks
That's likely not all he didn't tell you. What he left out is that he most likely uses Sil-Fos, which doesn't require flux. Beyond it's use, I am not aware of any solder that will work without fluxing, as the torch oxidizes the metal, so it won't solder. The phosphorus in Sil-Fos addresses the oxidizing. It is not suited to soldering steel as I recall.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.