First time using super glue chuck

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

John Hasler

Re: First time using super glue chuck

Post by John Hasler »

whateg0 wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:53 pm Aside from some special high temp variants, most seem to have a working temperature of up to about 180F. I still don't see much about failure mode above that, but it doesn't really matter much, I suppose. I see specs for shear strength, but don't see much on tensile strength and temperature's effect on it. Again, doesn't matter much now. Based on what I ran into and the shear strength numbers, I can see I had PLENTY of adhesion for the job at hand. OTOH, better to have too much than too little and have the part go flying.

Dave
"Working temperature" just means that they don't guarantee full strength above that, though. If it still has half of full strength at 350F it isn't coming off.

I wonder if someone makes or could be convinced to make a special fixturing version with a specified release temperature?
jcfx

Post by jcfx »

armscor 1 wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:59 pm A workmate was using eyedrops to battle an eye infection, went to the refrigerator in the middle of the night and inadvertently put drops of Loctite super glue in his eyes, spent a week in hospital!
Have no idea what they used to dissolve the glue?
A hard lesson learned that work materials should never be kept in refrigerators that hold food and medicines.
Hope he fared well with that experience.

Here's a MSDS for Hot Stuff CA glue - https://www.caglue.com/assets/msds/Hot%20Stuff.pdf

There is a cyanoacrylate remover/debonder that works a little faster than acetone, it's called
Golden West Super Solvent.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

John Hasler wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:16 pm I wonder if someone makes or could be convinced to make a special fixturing version with a specified release temperature?

https://www.bluephotongrip.com/
mcostello

Post by mcostello »

My Mom did basically the same thing, the hospital had Her out in a couple of hours.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

This is a great idea I'd never heard of before; another useful morsel of info from Home machinist.
I wonder if heat melt glue would be strong enough? Its low melt temperature would make it easy to remove, especially for delicate parts / materials.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

no on hot melt glue...
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

Two things I can think of being a problem with hot melt glue are the fact that it doesn't adhere well to some surfaces, and maybe more importantly, it flexes.

I soaked the part in acetone yesterday evening when we went out to eat. Now I just need to finish assembling the item. I'm going to put the part in the oven a 400F and then drop it onto a room temperature pin for a (hopefully) nice tight fit. My math says it should go from 0.0015" of interference to about 0.002" of clearance on a 0.9" hole.

Dave
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

With hot melt glue you will need to have a thick layer under the part. This layer won't uniform so the part won't lay flat. As Dave noted, it also isn't rigid and isn't very strong.

Cyanolacrylate forms a very thin, uniform layer between surfaces.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

It gets thin and sticks better when the parts are heated above the glue melt temperature; which isn't very high. I used it on a ceramic sculpture and it worked well that way. When everything was hot I could squeeze the parts together and find the exact position.
Of course, that material is porous and it didn't have to be strong.
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

Heating it that hot isn't always practical when the fixture is held in the chuck jaws or maybe clamped to the bed on the mill.

Dave
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

I tried hot melt glue once. The part got hot enough to melt the glue.
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

ctwo wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:17 pm I tried hot melt glue once. The part got hot enough to melt the glue.

That definitely takes the fun out of it.