heat shrink fit

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

whateg0

Re: heat shrink fit

Post by whateg0 »

warmstrong1955 wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:41 pm
4" and up....
Less than that, you aren't going to get a .005" shrink.
2" bore....I have got up to .002".
So my 0.9" never stood a chance?
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

whateg0 wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:05 pm
4" and up....

Ummmmm.....no.

;)
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

warmstrong1955 wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:58 pm
John Hasler wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:46 pm I understand that. I'm interested in the case where the hole shrinks when the entire part is heated uniformly as Bill reported.
I've cheated oversize bores for years, just by heating them, uniformly, and then letting them cool on their own.
Most I have done, were with larger bores, and done correctly, you can shrink them up to .005", and pretty much still round.

Bill
Sure, but I'm interested in the case where a bore was smaller with the entire piece hot than it was when cold before you started.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

whateg0 wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:05 pm
4" and up....
500 F should get you .005" on a .90" hole in aluminum.
rudd

Post by rudd »

One thing I considered after looking at Liveaboard's post at the top - that red hot block is going to transfer quite a bit of heat into the shaft. The block is then going to shrink, with the shaft being the last to cool. I think it's quite possible the shaft will be "shrunk" by this, leading to less interference than planned.
300 degrees will get you .002 in a 1" dimension. And that isn't hot enough to deform the internal part.
https://www.utausa.com/metalconverter.html
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

For that application, deformation was allowable and expected. But it's beyond by abilities to discern.
I had a slight taper cut into the end of the shaft and whacked it in quickly with a large hammer.

The bolt heated up very fast; but didn't appear to achieve red heat.
On cooling it seems suitably stuck.

I used an online calculator for heating this ring to fit over the hub. The 4" hoop only needed a couple of hundred C supposedly.
driving pulley1.jpg

It should have just slipped on, but even though I used more heat than specified there was some interference.
Fortunately, I was ready with a hammer and had something below to hit against.
Next time I do something like this, I'll use a lot more extra heat. Hammering thin hot parts as they shrink and bind isn't really nice.
Anyway, the part did its job.
repaired pulley.jpg
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

I use the press in preference to a hammer whenever possible. I ruined too many parts with a hammer.
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

John Hasler wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:22 am I use the press in preference to a hammer whenever possible. I ruined too many parts with a hammer.
When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail! Seriously, though, when time is of the essence a quick blow from a hammer might seem preferable to the relatively slow action of a press. If I had to choose between a fast arbor press and a hydraulic press for this, if still think the about press a better choice. In my case, it didn't have enough oomph though.

Dave
toglhot

Post by toglhot »

The way I do is turn to a shrink fit size, heat the female and freeze the male. You can never get it all the way through without the pin heating up and expanding. Work quickly and have a bloody big hammer handy. A vice will often help if a hammer is not desirable.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

A hammer is never desireable but it is sometimes necessary. I often used a vise before I got my Dake. I find that if I have properly designed and set up my fixture, gotten my temperatures, soak times, and clearances correct, and work quickly the part always goes in smoothly.

Of course, pretty often I just cook the pin with the torch while holding it with tongs until it looks right. I usually get away with it.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

You have to have a plan, and be ready.
I’ve dropped frozen bearing races into heated up bores, and had them slide right on in only to bounce up, and stick where they bounced up to. Doesn’t take long to lose the clearance you once had.
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

warmstrong1955 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:07 pm had them slide right on in only to bounce up, and stick where they bounced up to.
Now that's got to be aggravating!