Creating a GROOVE inside a very small TUBE (on the lathe)...

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: Harold_V, websterz, GlennW

pete

Re: Creating a GROOVE inside a very small TUBE (on the lathe)...

Post by pete » Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:32 pm

Funny that type of insert was just linked to. I watched a YT video yesterday showing a new to me type of Seco indexable round inserts https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbeImfp-7qQ Industry appears to be moving towards that type of indexing and locking method as something fairly new. They probably work really well, but I bet the inserts and tool holder to use them in have a price to match. Simple ACME carbide tips are expensive enough.

whateg0

Re: Creating a GROOVE inside a very small TUBE (on the lathe)...

Post by whateg0 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:32 am

I read an article on those round inserts a few weeks ago, but didn't get to see the back of them, so I wasn't sure how they were "indexable". It makes sense now, though. The ISCAR linked earlier reminds me of the old threading, and I suppose other forms, tools that have a round profile that is rotated as it gets resharpened. I have had to rely on custom ground HSS threading tools for single point threads for which I don't have a tap, or for "special sizes". These ISCAR inserts might be small enough to replace some of those tools.

Dave