Auto Collimator.

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: Harold_V, websterz, GlennW

armscor 1

Auto Collimator.

Post by armscor 1 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:54 pm

Just watched Keith Rucker's latest YouTube Video checking the straightness of the vee ways on the New Haven Planer using an Auto Collimator with great interest.
He has achieved less than one and a half thou deviation in ten feet, great result, must watch.

pete

Re: Auto Collimator.

Post by pete » Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:21 pm

Yeah I watched it last night and thought it was a very good video that finally gave a detailed explanation to where I understood how those autocollimators work. That 1/10th of a second there capable of isn't doing too bad. :-) If you read the comments though many seem fixated on the machine moving around more than the precision it's now set to. Temperature variations causing movement, concrete moving etc. Yes that's going to happen, what Keith is doing is getting to a non twisted & level starting point so the table can be scraped to fit the beds V ways. I didn't see him run any cross checks for how parallel those V ways are though. The elevations were compared and checked out fine, but not how true they were to each other. Maybe that was done off camera. He knows enough I highly doubt it's something he'd miss.