Moving my home shop

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: Harold_V, websterz, GlennW

DanWalker

Moving my home shop

Post by DanWalker » Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:31 pm

I am moving my home machine shop.
I have a question about moving my raw materials, steel, aluminum, brass, etc. I have them sorted by size and zip tied into several bundles
ranging in length from 3 to 6 feet long. They aren't too heavy, but I am wondering if the moving company will put them in the truck like this, or
do I need to fabricate some long, skinny cardboard boxes for them.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks!

NP317

Re: Moving my home shop

Post by NP317 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:43 am

Get cardboard shipping tubes!
Several diameters are available and they are used by suppliers for shipping.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=cardboard+sh ... nb_sb_noss
RussN

DanWalker

Post by DanWalker » Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:53 am

Shipping tubes! I didn't think of that!
Thanks!

SteveM

Post by SteveM » Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:34 pm

If you need heavier tubes, go to home depot and get concrete form tubes. They are available from 8" to 12".

I once saw a guy that built a reflecting telescope out of a 12" diameter concrete tube maybe 8-10' long. You had to climb a ladder to get to the eyepiece, but the images of distant nebulas were as good as anything in National Geographic.

Steve

Harold_V

Post by Harold_V » Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:25 pm

SteveM wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:34 pm
I once saw a guy that built a reflecting telescope out of a 12" diameter concrete tube maybe 8-10' long. You had to climb a ladder to get to the eyepiece, but the images of distant nebulas were as good as anything in National Geographic.
A little bit of a hijack, but I built a focusing device for an employee of the observatory in Salt Lake City. He, too, had built a telescope, but his was built from 8" tubing. Here's a picture of the focusing device, which was patterned after a Clark (features were changed that made it more functional for the user).
Telescope1resized.jpg
This photo includes the Clark:
Telescope2-resized.jpg
These photos have been posted before, although not recently.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.