Where do you guys buy Band Saw Blades?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

AllenH59

Where do you guys buy Band Saw Blades?

Post by AllenH59 »

I live in Canada, and wonder where the best place to get 93x3/4" blades is. It seems that all the ones I buy are lower quality.
Thanks
Steggy

Re: Where do you guys buy Band Saw Blades?

Post by Steggy »

AllenH59 wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:36 am I live in Canada, and wonder where the best place to get 93x3/4" blades is. It seems that all the ones I buy are lower quality.
Thanks
Does McMaster-Carr have Canadian distributorships? McMaster is where I get my band saw blades. They have a wide assortment.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

irrespective of where you purchase, look for quality - Starrett or lenox or similar...
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Russ Hanscom

Post by Russ Hanscom »

I like the Bi-metal ones. Several shops in ebay that sell many grades and sizes.
LIALLEGHENY

Post by LIALLEGHENY »

McMaster, Doall, Msc Industrial Supply are the sources I go to as well as Ebay. Starrett, Lenox and Doall make great blades. Stick with Bimetal for most things. Stay away from Wikus....I friend told me they were great blades, so I tried a couple. They didn't last long, I think they were too hard as I had problems with the teeth shearing off. I recently bought a bimetal blade from Doall, and it keeps going and going and going, even running it without coolant. I cut over 300 slugs of 2" dia 304 stainless without coolant, and then some titanium (with coolant) and finally some 9" diameter 4140 pre hardened for wheels on my steamer (14pcs) and the blade still cuts like new.

Nyle
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

I have about 10 bulk coils of bandsaw material I picked up off ebay for no more than $20-$30 for an almost full 100' coil.

I have everything from 32tpi 1/8" wide to 2tpi 1" wide.

My old bandsaw, which is now my brother's, has an odd size - 78" and mine is 9' (108"). Those are not common sizes like the blades for the 14" Delta, which you can get anywhere. That led me to making my own.

You cut the blade to length, grind the ends flat and square, bevel both ends, being sure that the bevels will overlap each other, stick it in a jig and silver solder it.

Here's a good video showing a useful jig to help bevel and solder the blades:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzKSk_Zs0Ew

One trick I found - once you have the blade in the jig, flux it, cut a couple of small pieces of silver solder and put them in the joint with the spring of the blade holding them in place. Once you heat up the blade and it gets to the proper temperature, the pieces will melt and flow, which you will see when the ends of the blades come together.

Steve