Heinrich 3TS cleanup advice needed

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Harrzack

Heinrich 3TS cleanup advice needed

Post by Harrzack »

Just acquired a decent Heinrich ST3 vise. It is in reasonable shape - has seen a few wars, but survived! :-) After oiling it moves fairly well, but does stick slightly now and then.

I'm wondering if it is possible (or even advisable!) to drive out the two side rails so they could be given a serious cleaning and polishing. If I could get it totally apart I'd even consider striping the casting and do a new paint job.

Or should I just leave it alone and be happy as it is?! :roll:
pete

Re: Heinrich 3TS cleanup advice needed

Post by pete »

Google indicates that's there drill press vise? Depending on just how that vise was first assembled it may not be possible to drive the round rails out without breaking the end casting ears. Industry doesn't screw around and uses a lot of induction heating while heat shrinking parts in place. I'm not saying that's how they did it but it's a good possibility. If it was done that way I doubt they can be moved in a home shop. If it were me? I think I'd give it a good long soak in a solvent bath and lightly polish the rails and remove any dings in them and call it good. But I'd probably only use fine Scotchbright pads and not use any type of emery paper at all since you wouldn't want to change the diameter of those side rods.
Harrzack

Re: Heinrich 3TS cleanup advice needed

Post by Harrzack »

Thanks for those comments. By the looks of the vise, I didn’t think those bars would come out easily. I’ll follow your advice and go lightly one the cleaning. I hadn’t thought of the finer Scotchbrite - sounds good - the long soak does too.

A.