Can't Get Hole Drilled Through Sandblast Cabinet

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

whateg0

Re: Can't Get Hole Drilled Through Sandblast Cabinet

Post by whateg0 »

spro wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:47 pm Maybe good ole center drill from the lathe.
I've always had better success using a split point drill than a center drill when drilling by hand. The only advantage a center drill offers is that it's short and rigid.

I don't recall, but did the op say what brand of drill was used? Maybe it was a harbor freight drill made of butter?

Dave
spro

Post by spro »

It isn't a huge read. OP was using everything. The flex defeats most and maybe bolster is too awkward.
10 Wheeler Rob

Post by 10 Wheeler Rob »

With a step drill I usually drill the first step size with good quality double point metal drill first after center punching. This is usually either a 3/16" or 1/4" DRILL size,
Inspector

Post by Inspector »

At this point you should consider a small carbide rotary file. The ball type that look like a rose bud. Then you can go back to the step drill and if it still doesn't work, use larger carbide rotary files to enlarge the hole.

Pete
noworries

Post by noworries »

I am a locksmith by trade and have literally drilled a few thousand holes in 16g hollow metal door frames as well as safe doors that have drill resistant hard plate protecting the lock so I have a bit of experience here, a good quality american drillbit should go straight thru that. I personally use Norseman. Drill a 1/4 pilot then use a good Starrett or Morse hole saw and you should be done in under a minute... good luck
tim9lives

Post by tim9lives »

I’d try a lockout punch...type used by electricians to make clean holes in electrical boxes. But you still need to drill a pilot hole. I didn’t see the size hole you’re trying to drill.
If you still want to try the uni-bit step drill, I find they do a very poor job starting holes. So drill a 1/8” pilot hole. Get a couple of new 1/8” quality cobalt bits and give that a try. Also, it might help if you clamp or stuff a 2 x4 behind the sheet metal to back up the flimsy sheet metal cabinet as I noticed that it looks like you’re pressing a dent but not penetrating the sheet metal.
But....if y
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

do you perchance have a the drill running in reverse (CCW)?
Too many things going on to bother listing them.