lifting hook question

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

whateg0

lifting hook question

Post by whateg0 »

I bought a chain hoist a few weeks ago and this came with it. I don't have a use for it now, but am curious about what this would have been on the end of? Is that for a wire rope?
hook.jpg
Dave
warmstrong1955

Re: lifting hook question

Post by warmstrong1955 »

It’s missing a part.
I have seen similar, and they were made to be adaptable, and to use a common hook Casting/forging. They make a separate parts that fit onto the swivel, with Options, such as an eye, or clevis for chain, or a pulley or roller, for chain or rope.
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

That makes sense. Thanks. It's interesting that the other part is so much smaller than the hook side. I guess the hook being the part that should swivel, needs to be able to spread out that wear over a larger area or something. Somebody will probably say this is a bad idea, but I have a half-ton trolley and the I beam for a gantry or gib crane. From other hooks I see of this size, it would have been rated at more than a ton. There is a marking cast into it, h5u or something like that. I haven't found anything online about it, so I can only assume it's a model number, but that could be a #5 size, or a 5T, or a 5000#. I dunno. Anyway, it looks like it'll hold far more than 1000#. Going back to the broken engine hoist, if their hook is rated to hold what the engine hoist will, 2T, then this ought to lift a ship!

Dave
STRR

Post by STRR »

That hook is set up for an overhead hoist most likely. The tapered section with the small ring on top is probably for a special swedge crimped on the end of a cable. It would fit in the tapered area with the ring to prevent abraiding the cable. There should be an SWL or WL -Safe Working Load or Working Load with a number behind it. The T or t designated U.S. tons T or metric tons t. Is there a manufacturer's name cast on it. I expect not as you didn't mention it. The h5u is most likely a manufacturer's code. I tried looking it up and didn't find anything quick.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Holding the world up with nothing but a swedge, is not done, nor legal, in the mining world. I don't know if it's legal anywhere, but I am from the underworld. We used swedges on the end of ropes, more as 'insurance', or tho keep the rope from fraying, but the primary load carrying device was a wedge lock, or Crosby clamps.
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

Sorry. Forgot to mention it is a Crosby.
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

20200412_195503.jpg
STRR

Post by STRR »

Warmstrong, Your statements are correct for TODAY, but not for all of history. At one time, it was ok to tie a knot in the end of the cable through the eye of a hook and hoist all you could until the cable or hook broke or you just couldn't lift anymore. That's exactly why it's illegal today.

In looking at the late photo, I believe this hook is a later design. I believe it's an "I" code "C" carbon steel shank hook. The letters I and C are visible on the upper portion of the hook. I believe this to be an S-319C Code I, carbon, 3-ton capacity hook. This is a good page to compare dimensions to http://www.cglift.com/wp-content/upload ... wivels.pdf Crosby manufactured shank hooks to any configuration of the shank a customer ordered. Thus, you probably won't find an exact match to your hook's shank on the Crosby pages. Crosby came out with the hooks with the cast in markings like yours, about 20ish years ago. Crosby hooks are one of the best you can buy.

The attachment for the hook may be what they call a chain nest.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Well.....not in a long long time in a mine, was that permitted, and I predate MSHA, and MESA. The Bureau of mines, just like MSHA, loved to take a look at any and all lifting equipment & gear. Easy target. Slushers & tuggers not lifting, they didn't much care, but a knot? Cow goes mooooo, cause they would have one. State guys too.
Wire rope slings are swedged together, but not with the swedge on the end, the rope is doubled and swedged in an eye with a thimble, and it's a longer swedge than regular ones.

What you 'surface dwellers' do.....I have no idea. :)
So, if someone held up a hook with a weird short tapered swedge like that, I've never seen one.

I looked in some old Crosby catalogs I have, but none have that style of hook. I remember some though. Been a while.
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

Thanks for that info. I was focused on the shank portion and didn't really look for info on the rating. I agree that it does appear to be an I code, based on the measurements. I see the marks on the hook now, too. I wasn't sure what those meant before. I'm not sure what I am going to do with it. I'd like to build a new shop crane that is stronger and more useful than the engine hoist for moving machinery and such. I could design a similar collar but to capture an eye with a shank like this one. I have a friend who has the whole strain analysis (I feel like that's not the right term, but I'm drawing a blank right now) on the assembly to see what it would be good for. I've always wished that the engine hoist had a swivel hook on it, but this one would cause such a loss of height, it wouldn't be a good candidate if it was all here.
STRR

Post by STRR »

wahtg0

If you use the link above, drop down to the S-322 hook, go to the chart for the 2-ton Alloy swivel hook, it's 7 3/4" total height. These hooks swivel but not the greatest since there is no bearing.

If you drop down to the next group S-3322B hook, the 2-ton hook is about 7 5/8" total height AND they do have a bearing.

I think I would try to find one on the flea bay after I found out what list price was.

Good Luck
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

Man! It's no wonder they put crap hooks on Chinese engine hoists! One of those hooks goes for nearly as much as the whole engine hoist. I'm not saying the hooks aren't worth that, but that's why a company making legit 2T engine hoists with parts really spec'd to do it would go out of business trying to sell to consumers. If I run across one on Ebay for a good deal, I might consider it. I did find a 1T S-322 on Ebay for not a lot of money. That's far heavier than the hook that's supposed to hold 2T on the engine hoist already. Like the casters, it makes a guy wonder how they can spec these parts the way they do.