Mystery Metal

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

tornitore45

Mystery Metal

Post by tornitore45 »

Sorting through inherited junk i run into a chunk of very light metal

The dark matte gray scale (Oxide ?) scratches to a shiny bright similar to Aluminum.
The specific gravity determined with my "lab grade" kitchen scale turns out to be 1.77

I just looked up Magnesium, in pure form has density = 1.738

Any idea what it is? Do Magnesium alloy burst into flame when machining?
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
whateg0

Re: Mistery Metal

Post by whateg0 »

You can do the vinegar test to help confirm it's magnesium. Magnesium doesn't automatically burst into flames but when it does, it's not cool. I've seen YouTube videos of guys welding it so I'm not sure what I've had to do to ignite it.
Russ Hanscom

Post by Russ Hanscom »

Shavings of magnesium are very flammable, the chunks not so much. Story about a machinist who could not be bothered to remove the shavings from his lathe, had a real meltdown.

Consider your handy little fire starting tool, scrape off a few shavings, put some sparks into the shavings.....
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

The specific gravity of prepared (alloyed) magnesium will vary from the pure element. The description provided indicates to me that it is, indeed, magnesium. Unlike most aluminum alloys, it's "crunchy" when machined.

You haven't lived until you've witnessed a magnesium fire. The dazzling white flame is enhanced by the addition of water, very much like tossing gasoline on a fire. Been there, done that, and have the singed arm hair to prove it.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

You haven't lived until you've witnessed a magnesium fire.
When I was about 7 my brother and I went to the Luna Park. My brother tried the Photo-shooting where if you hit the bull's eye a photo is taken instantly. Looks cool staring right at the barrel. Believe it or not they still had Magnesium Flash back in '52.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

Thermite is an iron powder which reacts when potassium permaganate and a piece of magnesium ribbon is activated with glycerine. I've done this to weld some steel together; very hot. Don't try it at home.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

Harold_V wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:48 pm The specific gravity of prepared (alloyed) magnesium will vary from the pure element. The description provided indicates to me that it is, indeed, magnesium. Unlike most aluminum alloys, it's "crunchy" when machined.

You haven't lived until you've witnessed a magnesium fire. The dazzling white flame is enhanced by the addition of water, very much like tossing gasoline on a fire. Been there, done that, and have the singed arm hair to prove it.

H
I once watched 500 lb of magnesium burn from about 1/4 mile away. Sunglasses were required.

Several hundred pounds of thermite were also involved.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

Mr Ron wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:43 pm Thermite is an iron powder which reacts when potassium permaganate and a piece of magnesium ribbon is activated with glycerine. I've done this to weld some steel together; very hot. Don't try it at home.
Thermite is usually a mixture of iron oxide and aluminum. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermite
jcbrock

Re: Mystery Metal

Post by jcbrock »

I was working at a facility manufacturing a product from an aluminum/magnesium alloy. One of the processes was a turning operation that used kerosene as a cutting fluid, with vacuum evacuation of the chips to a 20 yard dumpster outside. All well and good until a guy welding on the roof let a few sparks float down to the dumpster. Things then got really ugly when the water-based fire suppression system above the dumpster activated. I'm not sure how that series of errors came to be, Murphy's Law I guess.
John Brock
Rich_Carlstedt

Post by Rich_Carlstedt »

tornitore45 wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:24 pm ......................The specific gravity determined with my "lab grade" kitchen scale turns out to be 1.77
I just looked up Magnesium, in pure form has density = 1.738 Do Magnesium alloy burst into flame when machining?
Sounds like magnesium
Usually you only hear of the dramatic "failures"
Yes, it can be machined ...and is every day
Just don't let piles of chips build up, particularly Hot piles !
Also have a bucket/box of sand nearby - The sand will suffocate the fire if one starts
Rich
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

John Hasler wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:34 pm
Mr Ron wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:43 pm Thermite is an iron powder which reacts when potassium permaganate and a piece of magnesium ribbon is activated with glycerine. I've done this to weld some steel together; very hot. Don't try it at home.
Thermite is usually a mixture of iron oxide and aluminum. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermite
I stand corrected. It was 70 years ago that I messed with thermite.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
chief

Post by chief »

Just to ad my 2 cents worth, Harold's post about the water brought back a memory. Long ago in a galaxy not too far away, I was in an aircraft fire fighting class in the navy. As a demo of what not to do, they had an A3 aircraft magnesium main mount wheel in a fire pit and hit it with a fire hose. It pretty much exploded like a good sized bomb.

Terry