Way oil

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Mr Ron

Way oil

Post by Mr Ron »

I have some Vactra oil # 2 way oil that I use on my lathe. The question is: can I use this oil on my vertical mill ways?
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
KellyJones

Re: Way oil

Post by KellyJones »

Well, of course, the first correct answer is to use the oil specified by the manufacturer.

The second correct answer is to use an oil made for the same application.

The third correct answer is to use what ever works. Before everyone piles on about this, a few thoughts:

1. The purpose of an oil is to a) reduce friction between moving surfaces, b) carry away wear any debris that is generated, and c) prevent corrosion by providing a barrier to moisture and oxygen. Some oils also contain extreme pressure additives to ensure the oil film doesn't break down under a heavy load.

2. Way oils for milling machines typically contain "tackifiers"to encourage the oil to stick to vertical surfaces. Oils without tackifies will work, but you will likely have to oil more frequently.

Since Vactra #2 is a way oil, you should be fine using it on your vertical mill. Keep an eye on it though. Look for signs that it runs off the slides and re lubricate accordingly.
Kelly Jones, PE
A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
George Bernard Shaw
(1856-1950)
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Vactra 4 is for vertical surfaces.

From what I understand, it's because it is thicker and doesn't run off, but as long as you make sure there is a film of vactra 2 on there, it should do the job.

Steve
Rich_Carlstedt

Post by Rich_Carlstedt »

Probably the biggest advantage of way oil, over every other oil is its ability
To PREVENT stick slip.
They are specially formulated to allow carriages/tables to move with minimal effort.
You see it when you are trying to sneak up to a dimension and the last few thousandths are tougher.
Put a dial indicator on the carriage and note how it JUMPS when you start to move--that is stick slip

Rich
LouStule

Post by LouStule »

I've been using Vactra #2 for about 2 weeks now on my lathe and mill. It was a noticeable improvement over what I was using.
Gary Armitstead

Post by Gary Armitstead »

Vactra #2 is what we used on our big Cincinnati hydrotels when I was working doing forging dies. :)

In retirement, I use it on my home shop lathe and mill.
Gary Armitstead
Burbank, CA
Member LALS since 1980
Member Goleta Valley Railroad Club 1980-1993
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

Thank you all for your input. Now another question : Can way oil be used for bearings as in headstock bearings? Would using the wrong lubricant damage bearings?
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
pete

Post by pete »

If it were me I sure wouldn't take that chance. And yes the wrong lubricant can and will damage bearings. Especially precision bearings. I'd always use whatever the manufacturer recommended or it's nearest equivalent if that oil type has been discontinued. Most but not all machines would use some type of light weight spindle oil in there headstocks. It's much like hydraulic oil and in some instances that hydraulic oil could probably be used. But I still wouldn't deviate away from what the manufacturer recommends. If it works then everything is fine, but what if it doesn't? The right oil will all of a sudden look dirt cheap in comparison. Oil just isn't oil, there's more than good reason why oil company's keep a high paid staff of proper oil engineers around. Phone any large oil company with say a name and weight of a now discontinued oil and they'll put you through to one of those application experts who will cross reference there products and recommend a current in stock equivalent.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

The right oil is cheap. Precision bearings are expensive.

The bearings on a dumore 44 tool post grinder are $200 each (there are two).
A bottle of Dumore spindle oil is $8.

If that doesn't convince you to use the recommended lubricants, I don't know what will.

Steve
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

Way oil is made to lubricate ultra low speed sliding elements.
It doesn't need to handle high speed agitation like occurs in a rotating bearing.
I'm not sure what the properties of way oil are; but there must be some trade off for the extra slickness.
It's not magic super oil, it's just oil formulated for a specific purpose.
And that purpose is not bearing lubrication.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

Mr Ron wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:03 pm Thank you all for your input. Now another question : Can way oil be used for bearings as in headstock bearings? Would using the wrong lubricant damage bearings?
Using oil with too much viscosity can cause bearings to overheat.
Bill_Cook

Post by Bill_Cook »

Way oil is also a good rust preventative.
BC

If there was only one way to do each machining job, the smell of sulphurized cutting oil smoke would have fewer fond memories.