Lathe cutoff tool

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Mr Ron

Lathe cutoff tool

Post by Mr Ron »

I just got a lathe cutoff tool that uses replaceable carbide inserts. What a difference after using HSS blades.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
armscor 1

Re: Lathe cutoff tool

Post by armscor 1 »

I use Iscar and Kennametal parting tips, have not parted with a HSS parting blade for 20 years except for plastics.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Most of the carbide tips have a V shape cut into them that will fold the chip from both sides inwards, making it less likely the chip will jam in the cut.

Steve
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

The only problem with the vee shaped inserts is they cut off the piece, but leave a "tit" on the cut off piece that has to be removed by other means; (by filing/grinding, etc).
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

That depends on the insert. As I recall, you can get them with a left, right, or center bias. The ones I have for my Sandvik blade leave the tit on the material, not the drop/part.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

BadDog wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:47 pm That depends on the insert. As I recall, you can get them with a left, right, or center bias. The ones I have for my Sandvik blade leave the tit on the material, not the drop/part.
I prefer it that way, as I won't have to re-chuck the part to remove it. If you keep running the cutoff tool , it will take the tit off the part in the chuck.

Steve
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Absolutely agreed. That's why I run those inserts.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
gwrdriver

Post by gwrdriver »

I'm looking for a blade insert holder to use in a rear-mounted parting toolpost (which I've built.)

An insert holder which gets raves by ME/HSMs in England is a Sandvik QD item. Although the particular QD holder they list is mounted for use in indexing toolposts, they have apparently concocted a combination of holder and insert which perfectly matches ME/HSM range of work. The seller (Greenwood Tools) equips their holder with a "Type 18, Grade GC1125" insert, but considering the bewildering numbers of insert types, common sense tells me that "18" isn't enough numbers to identify the insert.

Anyway, any information or experiences you have along those lines would be helpful. And yes the parting tool would be inverted.
GWRdriver
Nashville TN
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

I've been happy with the mgmn partying tool that I bought a few months back. Way better than hss for speed. I am using the 2 mm wide version.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Still looking for a 1mm version of same..
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

BadDog wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:47 pm That depends on the insert. As I recall, you can get them with a left, right, or center bias. The ones I have for my Sandvik blade leave the tit on the material, not the drop/part.
If you continue feeding the tool forward, it will remove the tit from the chucked piece as well.

Steve
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Groundhog day? :lol: :wink:
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper