Mitutoyo DRO scales

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

whateg0

Mitutoyo DRO scales

Post by whateg0 »

Happy New Year!

The mill I bought a couple summers ago came with a Mitutoyo DRO, model number of the display being 982-537-1. From the appearance, it uses glass scales, which fits with the age. It's been operating fine until the past few months when it started resetting or freezing up. I emailed Mit a few months ago to see if I could get any info on the scales, but all they would tell me is that the new models don't use those obsolete scales. I am interested in trying out the TouchDRO. They list a version that is supposed to work with glass scales. Do all glass scales use a similar/compatible standard for communications? It's about $120 for the transmitter and I think I have a tablet I can use, so it's not a lot of money to shell out, especially vs a "real" DRO, but at the same time, if somebody tells me for sure it won't work, I'd rather save my money. Does anybody have any experience with the TouchDRO or have any more insight to glass scales?

Dave
pete

Re: Mitutoyo DRO scales

Post by pete »

It's complicated and there's many that used almost an industry wide common signal standard while a very few other manufacturers use the less standard for there systems. Heidenhain for sure and I think maybe it was Acu-Rite? used a far less common signal type. But there were probably others. About all I can suggest is to research what signal type Mitutoyo used on those scales during that time period and then ask TouchDRO if it's compatible. Google should pull that information up fairly easy or it should be in the user manual if you've got one. But given the time of year are you sure your current issues aren't either cold or contamination related? It doesn't always happen with every system, but I've read a few posts about cold shop conditions creating some issues with glass scales and/or the display, and none of the glass scales will tolerate much contamination or scratches on the glass. If your careful light scratches can I've read be polished out. The anti contamination seals do wear out on glass scales, so if it's an older system I think I'd do some checking first.
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

Thanks. So far, I've not found much info. I did find a manual for it, but don't recall seeing any details about the comms. I will email TouchDRO and ask them if they have experience with them.

I don't think it's temperature related. The weather here has gotten cold a few times, but mostly this fall and winter were very mild. The scales themselves don't seem to be the problem. It seems more related to something in the display, where it just resets for no reason, or starts to reset but gets stuck on what I assume to be the display test where it lights all of the segments.

Regardless of whether I am able to get this one working, I would like to upgrade to something more modern with hole patterns and center function. I can do all of that in CAD or with some simple math, but it would be handy to have those functions built in.
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

a new search today is turning up more info that I recall finding when I first bought this mill!
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Dro pro sells some nice equipment that is in the hobby price range with the features you describe.

I do not work for them but have 2 systems from them and am a satisfied customer
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Bill Shields wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:55 am Dro pro sells some nice equipment that is in the hobby price range with the features you describe.
I do not work for them but have 2 systems from them and am a satisfied customer
Same story here.
RussN
Mill U-Axis6 small.jpg
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

That is the unit that I have on my mill.

Very reliable
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Bill Shields wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:13 pm That is the unit that I have on my mill.
Very reliable
So you also have Z reading on both the quill (U) and the knee (Z)?
I find that arrangement extremely useful.
RussN
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Knee only. Quill reading on my wells index is cumbersome..