Old brazed on carbide facemill inserts?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

MotoWerx

Old brazed on carbide facemill inserts?

Post by MotoWerx »

Hello all, I am looking to find new inserts for this older facemill I have. My google searching has found me nothing. I'd like to get some use out of it if the inserts are not too high priced.

The facemill does not have any markings on it at all so I have no idea what brand it is.

Thank you in advance for any help you can send my way.

-Dave

I live my life in a confused haze only to be interrupted by moments of Brilliance!

~Dave (me)
Russ Hanscom

Re: Old brazed on carbide facemill inserts?

Post by Russ Hanscom »

I have never seen ones quite like that before. I have seen the carbides like that separately and have used them to make special cutters - those you can find at MSC and other places - relatively inexpensive.

Might try ebay, sometimes odd bits do show up.

Thinking that you may need to make a jig to hold them for grinding, either to sharpen the ones that you do have or to align and sharpen new ones after you remove and replace the carbide inserts.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

You could mill pockets in existing brazed carbide shanks.

Maybe you'd be better off finding some 1/2" shank lathe tools, milling the slots and using those.

At that point, you can get all the inserts you want.

If you don't need to face to a corner, make some toolholders that use the 100 degree side of a CCxxx or CNxxx (depending on the rake angle) and if you have a turning toolholder that uses the 80 degree side, your used inserts become a lifetime supply of free inserts.

Steve
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

If it were mine, I'd take it to the local tool sharpening guy and have it done professionally. It should then last until it hits another hard spot.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

That cutter looks possibly home made.
I would make a jig and sharpen the carbides.
Os as suggested above, use 1.2" key stock (?) to make new holders for available carbide inserts. Or modify the existing holders.
RussN
johnfreese

Post by johnfreese »

I would have it resharpened. Use it until the carbide is dull, then discard it. Insert type face mills are relatively inexpensive and offer more favorable cutting geometry.
Richard_W

Post by Richard_W »

Looks like the face mill that comes with a new mill/drill. I threw mine away, waste of time and money. When it gets dull you need a tool and cutter grinder to sharpen it correctly. Do you really want to pay the price to have it sharpened and wait days or weeks to get it back?

Richard W.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Amen. I have seen such that came with my Taiwan made mill 40 years ago

As soon ad the cutters became unusable the entire lot went in the dumpster and I got something to take standard inserts.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.