Your thoughts on a replacement compressor

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Greg_Lewis

Re: Your thoughts on a replacement compressor

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Congrats, Russ. Looks like a good unit.

I’ve been meaning to get back to everyone with the end of the story on mine. Suffice to say that it was a project I didn’t need to have and even having time to post here about it hasn’t been available.

But the bottom line is: I bought a 3-cylinder pump that looks identical to Russ’ and put it on my existing tank. But there is a big But.

Some years ago I needed a part for this unit and the info I found at the time was that Sanborn, the maker, had gone out of business. And this time, every pump I looked at was more like Russ’. So I ordered one from Eaton Compressor, and the day it was shipped I discovered that Sanborn is now Powermate, owned by Coleman, and that an exact replacement pump is available. Four bolts and I would have been done.

While this replacement pump looks to be better than the original, it was a First Class Chore to get it mounted, piped in, and set up, and cost me about $200 more than the OEM pump would have. I had two orders from McMaster, three trips to the hardware store, holes drilled, fittings figured out, hookups relocated.

You know those projects that are like fly paper? You just can’t shake it. I had to replace the motor pulley, the drive belts, and the pipe to the pressure switch. The belt guard had to be modified. The pump-to-tank line had to be reconfigured with about $20 worth of compression fittings, never mind that I have a 4-pound box of compression fittings in my parts department. But of course, no matter how much hardware you have, you won’t have what you need. And in spite of that I had to turn up a special adaptor in order to get the pressure relief valve piped into the pump output line.

So instead of fifteen minutes and four bolts, it took me about three days and a little bit of Navy language to get it done. But I do want to say that the folks at Eaton Compressor were great. The phone is answered by a human being right away and everyone I talked to was professional and knowledgeable. They also gave me a veteran’s discount. And I think this pump is a better unit than the OEM one. It’s quieter and fills the tank faster. At the rate of usage I give a compressor, this should last as long as I’m going to need one.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Whew!! That was an uphill battle all the way.
Glad you finally won.
And makes me really happy about purchasing a new unit.
Unpack and install.
Happy compressing everyone!
RussN
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Sort of like drinking out of a spittoon. Once started, it's impossible to stop.

Well done, Gregg.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Harold_V wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:40 am Sort of like drinking out of a spittoon. Once started, it's impossible to stop.

Well done, Gregg.

H
I think if the spittoon had been filled with grey riesling the whole adventure would have been less painful.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

OK Guys. Now I'm grossed out, wine or not!
RussN
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

True enough, but it is a good representation of the position one finds themselves to be within when tackling a project that chooses to not cooperate.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
BClemens

Post by BClemens »

Harold, are you saying that you have contemplated drinking from a spittoon? No-one really knows what would happen if it gets really tough, do they?
(all in jest!)
BC
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Well, here's how I do it....
IMG_8556.JPG
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Just relaying what I was told by the old guys! :-)

I like Greg's way, though. For reds, just room temp, though.

H
NP317

Post by NP317 »

OK. That's more palatable.
RussN
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

When I was a kid, I knew a guy who had an old Arab spitoon, that he used as the maker intended.
So I was actually a bit nauseated by the idea of... argg, can't even write that down!
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

And I'll add that that is an empty bottle of grey riesling. :roll:
Greg Lewis, Prop.