Babbit bearing

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

1949DC

Babbit bearing

Post by 1949DC »

I’m wanting to pour a new Babbit bearing for my camel back style drill press. As I pour around the shaft I’ll have a very tight clearance. As I’ve watched my father do this years ago I remember him struggling to turn or break free the shaft from being freshly poured. I won’t be able to press the shaft out so turning and pulling is my only option. I was wondering if I were to wrap a thin piece of shim stock around shaft before the pour to allow for a running fit and this allows the shaft to be removed easily but that leaves the shim stock to be removed. My question is: will this work? Am I overthinking it? What is a good way to release the shaft from bearing surface?
jscarmozza

Re: Babbit bearing

Post by jscarmozza »

Never poured a Babbitt bearing, but I watched my uncle do it. He used to 'smoke' the shaft with a candle, putting a coat of carbon on the shaft as a bond breaker seemed to work pretty well for him. Curious to know what you do and how it turns out.
John
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

As above, smoke it nice and black with an acetylene torch. No Oxygen, just light the acetylene so you have an orange flame with lots of black smoke.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
1949DC

Post by 1949DC »

Ya the soot from a dirty torch. It’s coming to me again thanks.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

My "Steam Team" recently (last Fall) poured new Babbitt bearings for a steam tractor's 3" diameter main crank shaft.
As GlennW noted we carbon-sooted the shaft with an acetylene torch set "black-rich."
The resulting carbon barrier allowed easy separation of the shaft from the new Babbitt. Zero stick.
RussN
IMG_3632.JPG
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Black from an acetylene torch works wonders. I use it for blackening molds for casting gold and silver ingots, so it's effective for high temperatures, and gives 100% protection against soldering. It also should provide a reasonable amount of clearance, unlike a shim. You're better off forming a snug fit than a loose one. It can always be lightly scraped for a little more clearance.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
sdejar

Post by sdejar »

Smoke from acetylene, also, make up a stack of shims for each side, if you have two piece bearing shells then you can remove them as the bearing wears. Warm up the bearing shells slightly just before pouring babbit Hope this helps
1949DC

Post by 1949DC »

The Last time I saw dad do this was pouring a split nut for the lead screw for my lathe 20+ yrs ago. That screw is still holding threads today. Two halves were easy to break apart no soot required. Too many years past since farm equipment was repaired to remember. I’m certain no tinning was done for bonding if I understand that process correctly. Bonding was done making certain surface was clean or surface made rough. I hope to pour this weekend. Good thing about Babbit it can be easily be poured again.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

My experience with babbit is that if you are using it in rotating bearing surface it is best poured in excess and the finished diameter cut to remove surface material which can be porous in contains oxide.

Guess it matters not for a drill press column..but on a running axle or rod bearing..it can affect bearing life.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Randall Va

Post by Randall Va »

I’ve never had a problem with it sticking to the mandrel on model T Ford’s
99866745-F7CF-491D-93B4-C0E0CE52BD48.jpeg
Attachments
8CF564FD-D33E-42FA-884D-4A5BA42C5703.jpeg
8CF564FD-D33E-42FA-884D-4A5BA42C5703.jpeg (32.16 KiB) Viewed 4453 times
www.chaski.com
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Model T crank bearings: Use bacon rind in an emergency!
It's been done.
RussN
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Or a leather belt scraped to the correct thickness
Too many things going on to bother listing them.