Drilling Through Holes on the Mill

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

rmac

Drilling Through Holes on the Mill

Post by rmac »

Sometimes I want to clamp a part to the mill table and drill holes through it, but not into the mill table. For non-critical projects, I usually just put a piece of MDF under the part to hold it up away from the mill table. I use MDF because it seems like it's pretty flat, stable, and uniform in thickness. But I'm wondering what real machinists do.

Same question, actually, when you want to drill some holes in a small part held in the milling vise but don't want to drill into the parallels that are supporting the part. Do you put something between the part and the parallels? Or get everything set up and then (try to) remove the parallels? Or make some wooden parallels (my favorite)? Or what?

-- Russell Mac
Steggy

Re: Drilling Through Holes on the Mill

Post by Steggy »

I keep small pieces of extruded aluminum around for that sort of situation. I stick to relatively thin pieces, as they are generally more uniform in thickness than the heavier stuff.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
Rick

Post by Rick »

Depends on the part: if its not to critical or some material that isn't very flat to start with like Cold Rolled flat bar, then plywood or whatever sacrificial material I can find.
Semi critical or heavy machine cuts will be required: I will use some pieces of alum bar stock
Very critical: 123 blocks in strategic positions and the clamps right above the 123 blocks, this depends on thickness of the part and type of operation needed. This would usually be ground plate parts.

As far as drilling small parts in the vise then I would use soft jaws, I usually make a batch of soft jaws when I make them so I have some some ready to go or just re-machine used ones.
Rick

“We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Unknown
Murphy's Law: " If it can go wrong it will"
O-Tool's Corollary: "Murphy was entirely too optimistic"
toddalin

Post by toddalin »

I just milled a through slot in a piece of copper strap. I first milled a piece of scrap wood to the same thickness as the width of the strap. Then I used double sided tape to secure the strap to the wood and placed the whole thing into the milling vice, (below the jaws) and milled down into the wood.

http://www.audioheritage.org/photopost/ ... 06_2_2.JPG
Rich_Carlstedt

Post by Rich_Carlstedt »

Mac
In our die shop, we used MDF at times , as you do
For precise work we had sheets of Delron 3/4" thick that the work sat on , and when on the Radial drill
with big drills, then we used 2 sheets. The problem with using arcrylic sheets is they are slick so you have to make sure the part stays in location.
When using a vice, we used aluminum bar/strips almost all the time -except when drilling or milling the side of the part then used steel
so we had no cutter deflection .
We also used "tempered hardboard" which was 1/4" thick and smooth both sides and VERY consistant in thickness
They quit making it maybe 30 years ago...too bad, now they only have one side hardened !
Rich
rmac

Post by rmac »

Thanks, guys, for the hints. I guess I wasn't too far off except that I need to be reminded once in a while about soft jaws in the milling vise. I guess the idea there is that you make them out of aluminum and then just drill right into them as needed?

-- Russell Mac
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

I've most often got step jaws (roughly 0.100 x 0.100) mounted on my 6" mill vise, and a similar set I made for my drill press vise. Those serve most of my purposes. For the rare larger piece of plate or weldment that I lamp to the table, as others have said, 123 blocks, or one or another parallel setup to space it off the table. If that doesn't work, MDF would be my choice as needed, though that's mostly to prevent chatter when milling through rather than drilling.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
Richard_W

Post by Richard_W »

I bought a set of theses 1/32 thick parallels. They work for me.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-32-ultra-thi ... SwZUNfuBIL
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

I would take a small block of aluminum, narrower than the piece you want to drill into and shorter than the depth of the jaws; set up in the vise on parallels; machine flat; remove parallels and set your work on top of the machined block. If you machined the block flat, then your work will be set on a flat surface. Drill your holes. Even a very hard wood would work.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
rmac

Post by rmac »

Mr Ron wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:59 pm ... set your work on top of the machined block. If you machined the block flat, then your work will be set on a flat surface. Drill your holes.
What keeps the work from moving around while you're drilling the holes?

-- Russell Mac
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Richard_W wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:44 am I bought a set of theses 1/32 thick parallels. They work for me.

Thanks, Richard. I just ordered a set. Having specialized in small work, having parallels in small height increment changes is exceedingly useful.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Richard_W

Post by Richard_W »

Harold_V wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:25 pm
Richard_W wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:44 am I bought a set of theses 1/32 thick parallels. They work for me.

Thanks, Richard. I just ordered a set. Having specialized in small work, having parallels in small height increment changes is exceedingly useful.

H
Your welcome. I have found them very useful.

Richard W.