Help identifying a lathe part

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

choprboy

Re: Help identifying a lathe part

Post by choprboy »

OK, I'm going to go in a different direction than everyone else and say this is neither a milling nor a lathe part. To me it looks like a column for a multi-station drilling table. 2 to 5 of these would be bolted to a long cast iron table. Each would have a sliding head drill mounted to the face with the semi-circular holes and set to a fixed position above a fixture plate. The operator would then move the part being manufactured from station to station, drilling a series of predefined holes.
drillpress1.jpg
drillpress1.jpg (36.75 KiB) Viewed 4506 times
drillpress2.jpg
drillpress2.jpg (23.38 KiB) Viewed 4506 times
drillpress3.jpg
drillpress3.jpg (36.73 KiB) Viewed 4506 times
I haven't found the particular model yet.I also like Russ' idea of a column for a shaper/planer power feed.
pete

Post by pete »

It sounds like Darren got that part with a used lathe purchase. The original owner may have picked that part up with the idea of cutting it down and making a milling attachment out of it at some point. So far I think Russ may have identified it as the column from one of those power feed units though. Pretty much everything seems to match up to there general design.
Russ Hanscom

Post by Russ Hanscom »

Here is a photo of a complete power feed on a shaper (used for making molding) The two columns are 40mm dia. Ignore the saw dust!
DSC02082.JPG
Darren92530

Post by Darren92530 »

I get what you are all saying. But my part doesn’t really look like any of those... I do have another part that I think may be related to it that is part of a Heath lawnmower sharpener... I am resigning myself to thinking that it was purchased separately with the intention of using it for something else... I was hoping that someone on here would be able to say, oh yeah I have one and this is what it is... oh well.. maybe some day someone will know what it came from...
bollie7

Post by bollie7 »

Years ago I saw an old school engine cylinder boring machine. Your UMO (Unidentified Machining Object) reminds me of that. Now this was at least 35 years ago and I didn't have a close look at it.
From memory of what I was told it was for old cars (early 1900's 1920's etc) to re-bore them with the engine block still in place in the car. The machine was bolted into place on top of one bore using the holes for the head bolts/studs and then the machine head was used to bore the cylinder next to the machine.
Might be another path for you to investigate.
regards
peter