Manson Hot Air Engine Build

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

sbastian

Re: Manson Hot Air Engine Build

Post by sbastian »

Hello,
I am new to this forum.
After having, for a few years, read a lot about Stirling engines, bought, analyzed and improved some small Chinese models (including a Manson) I now plan to design and manufacture a small Manson engine.
I have been impressed and excited by the recent accomplishments of 'rmac' and 'alex.M' and all of the comments on this topic.
There is an IC Engines section on your site... Is it inconceivable to create an EC Engines (external combustion) section?
Sincerely,
Stéphane
rmac

Post by rmac »

Welcome to the forum. It will be interesting to follow the design and construction of your Manson engine. For now, feel free to post your ideas and questions here in this General Discussion area. I can't speak for the administrators, but I imagine that a new section could be created someday if there is enough interest. Actually, a lot of the folks here are already interested in external combustion ... it's just that they use it to boil water to make steam instead of trying to make a little bit of air expand and contract.

Again, welcome!

-- Russell Mac
sbastian

Post by sbastian »

rmac wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:38 pm
rmac wrote: Might be worth experimenting by just twisting together a bunch of wire to approximate the Kontax wick.
Well, well. That worked too good. Way too good! I unraveled six or seven pieces of #12 stranded copper wire and then twisted them back into a 1/4" diameter cable that would fit into the alcohol burner. For whatever reason, the alcohol wicked up the wire, spilled over onto the top of the burner lid and then onto the wood base. Before I knew it, I had one heck of a fire going. I need to play around with the whole thing some more in a setting where I'm not so likely to set the house on fire.

lid.jpg
Harold wrote: Videos can't be posted on the board, but they can be linked if posted elsewhere. Youtube, as an example.
Yes, I've seen that mentioned here before. My problem is that I've never before gone through the exercise of taking a video, getting it from the phone (or whatever) to a computer, editing it, and then uploading it to the internet. Guess it's time to learn all that so I don't wind up being the last guy on the planet who doesn't have a YouTube channel.
Harold wrote: Beautiful piece of work, Russ.
Thank you.

-- Russell Mac
Hello,

I was quite intrigued by your metal wick... I tried with Ø4mm stainless steel cable with 49 strands... well, it works very well, and empties the bottle completely... however, the flame (only blue, so very hot) is very short... I'm going to try with 3 Ø3mm stainless steel cables joined, to see if the flame is bigger!.
thanks for the idea!

Stephane
Stéphane
rmac

Post by rmac »

sbastian wrote: I'm going to try with 3 ?3mm stainless steel cables joined, to see if the flame is bigger!
Also experiment with a longer cable, so that more of the wick is outside of the bottle and exposed to the air.

-- Russell Mac
sbastian

Post by sbastian »

Indeed, the flame is higher and it is roughly proportional to the length of the wick. I had 5mm out (reminder 4mm stainless steel cable) I took it out 10mm to have a flame twice as high... disadvantage, it takes up more space and the flame is orange on half the height.. .
I will test it on my Manson model and I will let you know.
As for my Manson project, I am still designing and drawing for now. I think I draw a lot of inspiration from Jurgen BLADT's concept:
https://www.jbladt.de/technik/heissluft ... nsonmotor/

Stéphane
Stéphane