Way oil!....outrageously priced!

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

RSG

Re: Way oil!....outrageously priced!

Post by RSG »

LOL@ Bill! You forgot the most important part, the igloo! ;) :)
Vision is not seeing things as they are, but as they will be.
RSG

Post by RSG »

Thanks for the additional info guys.

Inspector, we do have a Tractor Supply up here under the branding of TSC Store. But I ended up getting the oil i wanted just through my fathers company that buys lubricants in bulk. So, now I have enough way oil to last the rest of my life :roll: :lol:

Wally318, KBC was an option as well but still too much for what it is....
Vision is not seeing things as they are, but as they will be.
gwrdriver

Post by gwrdriver »

Chain saw bar oil is the worst thing you could use on your machine tools . . the WORST.

Some years ago I was helping newcomers to live steam and in doing so introduced them to the whats and whys of steam oil. Almost immediately the "This is just as good, because it's cheap" guys started up. So I contacted two major petroleum companies, speaking eventually with their product engineers, and asked them to tell me all about chain saw bar oil. Operationally it's intended for "100% loss" lubrication - a few moments of lubrication and then be thrown off, lost, and then replaced with another squirt of oil and the cycle repeats. It is the "Dregs", the remaining oil, always of varied or even unknown composition, which along with grit and other contaminates is purged from the bottom of tankers and pipelines and bottled as bar oil. It's fit only to be flung off a chain saw bar.

I wouldn't have it near any machine I cared about, except my chain saw.
GWRdriver
Nashville TN
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Or my 60 year old worn out SB where the bar lube with all the misc stuff fills in the gaps to help solidify the carriage...and it drips out on the tray anyhow
:mrgreen:
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
pete

Post by pete »

Ok for those highly worn machines, I can see the any old oil including chain saw working. For one's not quite there yet, I've gotta agree with Harry. Except that any other oil I've tried from 3 n 1, hydraulic, or even up to 90 wt. gear oil. (real bad idea) None of it did work as smoothly or stay on less than horizontal slides as well as the Vactra does on my equipment. No it doesn't seem to be the best on my mills vertical knee ways, so maybe the no. 4 would work a bit better there. My one shot only uses one container to pump from, so I still use the no. 2 on all of it and then live with the run off. But whatever the hell is in that Vactra does seem to do exactly what they say it can. Even my mill manual mentions that brand. But fwiw, there does seem to be some kind of shortage going on at least with the Vactra product at some dealers. https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/g ... ge-398824/

And yes I've had good luck in the past doing just what Harry did and actually contacting a few oil company application experts for lubrication brands / types that are no longer made for there more modern equivalents. And I'd most certainly do so for any spindle lube oil questions. It's a less than well known free service for at least there own product. When in doubt, talk to somebody that gets paid just because of what they do know. :-)