PayPal email

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Hanz

PayPal email

Post by Hanz »

Just wondering if ALL PayPal users received the following email that I did, or was it truly random-

'Dear Paypal Member.
Your account has been randomly flagged in our system as a part of our routine security measures. This is a must to ensure that only you have access and use of your paypal account and to ensure a safe Paypal experience. We require all flagged accounts to verify their information on file with us. 
To verify your information, click here and enter the details requested.                                                                                    After you verify your information, your account shall be returned to  good standing  and you will continue to have full use of your account.'

[url=http://www.hanzenginehouse.com]www.hanzenginehouse.com[/url]
Marty_Escarcega
Site Admin

Re: PayPal email

Post by Marty_Escarcega »

Its BOGUS Hanz, don't fall for it! If you did, get into your account and change your password IMMEDIATELY.
"Jack of all Trades, Master of None"
LEW_BEST

Post by LEW_BEST »

i'd get the paypal support number & call them to verify that it's legit! if you can't get into the customer support area without logging in let me know & i'll look up the number for you. don't have time at the moment; have to get the granddaughter to school.

Lew
Hanz

Re: PayPal email- You're right!

Post by Hanz »

Wow, I feel dumb... I am usually on top of things, watching from and where things are going...

The 'from address' was from paypal.com, the letter had paypal logos and was in their font, but (as a test) when I hir reply, it was definately to a bogus email!

Thanks!
fredwhite

Post by fredwhite »

I got a similar letter recently from E-bay. Also bogus!
LEW_BEST

Post by LEW_BEST »

I'd report this to paypal customer service! they have a fraud link on help->customer service or if you can't get into it the toll free number is 1.888.221.1161.

Lew
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

I received a message from PayPal warning of this message... and that they do not make such requests...
[b]Bryan[/b]
[i]"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."[/i] Leonardo da Vinci (1452-1519)
Michael_Az

Post by Michael_Az »

I have received several of these emails from somebody claiming to be ebay so I studied up on it a little. I'm embaressed to admit that I have been using my email address for my ebay name for years. Found out this is not a good thing to do. So I changed my name right away. You will get the shadded glasses for awhile, but you do not loose your ratings. So never place your email addy at ebay.
Michael
Saimp 2 HP 10 X 44 mill, #2 Cin Horz Mill, Cholchester 13" lathe, LeBlond 15" Dual Drive.
Hanz

Post by Hanz »

Well, the other side of that opinion is that the more open you are, the more people trust to buy from you. Plus having a business I promote it in every possible way. I would rather buy from someone who is not hiding their email, or especially their location. In fact, I won't buy from someone who's location is 'Somewhere, USA' which I see alot.
widderj

Post by widderj »

Hanz,
I have received two similar e-mails. Before giving any information I replied to them and asked for additional information. They never got back to me, so I ignored the e-mails, nothing happened to my account and I later saw something that said these were scams to get personal information and really were not related to paypal or ebay. I'd suggest not giving out any information until you confirm that it is legitimate.

Good luck

Jeff
Lunkenheimer

Post by Lunkenheimer »

I don't use Paypal, but the email sounds very suspect. I'd contact Paypal customer support and ask them.

Could be a scam to get hold of your credit info.

Where do they tell you to send the information?