Threads in .060 tubing

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

John_Payne

Threads in .060 tubing

Post by John_Payne »

In a few places, I need threads in .060 tubing I am using for a mobile base. They are for the bolts that will support the wheels. I'm a little concerned about the thin tubing supporting the threads. How do you handle threads in thin tubing? These will be 3/8 NC threads.
jpfalt

Re: Threads in .060 tubing

Post by jpfalt »

What you need to do will depend on the loads and joint configurations.

A few questions to sort htings out a bit.

Is this round or square tube?

Are the wheels cantilevered out from the base on the 3/8" bolts (that is, are the bolts being used as axles for wheels) or do the bolts attach a caster flange to the bottom face of the tube?

If the bolt is being used as an axle for a wheel, how far out do the bolts stick?

How many bolts are you dealing with?

What is the weight supported by the bolts?

Do the threads go through both tube walls or just the outside wall?
J_Tiers

Post by J_Tiers »

If you mean threads into the side of the tubing, I don't think so. You will get only "one" thread in 0.060 thick tubing. It will be basically a sheet metal screw and not a "bolt".

Can you put a more substantial piece on and thread that?

For sure, I would put a plug in the end, and drill thru that for the threads, bolt, or whatever. The plug could be welded in or turned/milled to a tight fit with a rim at the end to hit the tubing and stop the plug.
mark_dingbaum

Post by mark_dingbaum »

Hi,

My hardware store has 'jack nuts' that look like a hollow wall anchor, when you tighten the nut thin strips expand out and seat against the inside wall. If you have an MSC catalog, I think they sell them also and might have a picture. There are also Nutserts that look like a pop rivet but have threads. I don't believe these would be available in 3/8", but probably are in 1/4". From what I've heard, a general rule of thumb is 'three threads at least'. There are other ways to do this, ome that comes to mind is a perpendicular cross bar that passes through the tubing that is drilled and threaded. Quite a bit of work, but should be strong.

good luck,
mark
Rick_Johnson_IL

Post by Rick_Johnson_IL »

Assuming that you are using square or rectangular stock, I recommend Nutserts or the Nutter made by Marson. Both products are practically identical, but the Nutter may be easier to find or order and is less expensive. Bowman and other fastener suppliers sell Nutserts. Fastenal and other industrial outfitters and auto parts houses and auto paint suppliers sell or can order the Marson product. Should you have difficulty finding these items, send me an email.

Rick