Annealing

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

kendall

Re: Annealing

Post by kendall »

I had to make some sleeves, and a pin for the cylender on the pettibone at the junkyard near my hose,I used a pair of old 4x4 bronco2 spindles, and a pin (assumed it was a king pin) that I found on the road, that were hardened, and the way that I managed to anneal them were to put them in the woodstove till they were cherry red, then bury them deep in the ash bucket to let them cool off slowly, I actually buried them too deeply, as it took a day and a half to cool enough to hold onto comfortably, but afterwards they would turn almost like brass.
I retempered the pin using the woodstove and a bucket of oil, and left the sleeves soft

When I worked maintenance at falcon foam, I used to get a kick out of people at work throwing freshly welded parts into the snow to cool them off fast, then wondering why they always cracked around the welds. I could never get them to let them cool slowly. which prompted me to come up with the slogan, 'if you can't fix it, Falconize it'